No Time.......No Money.......So No Creations?

Spellbound

My Perception & Perspection So Far On Original Works:

Whenever I do meet an individual who rattles or e-mails about his/her ´ambitions´ to me ........and as much as I do take a bit of my own precious time to listen to them.....very, very few of them would literally get down sacrificing their time to source out people, things or simply executing their ambitious pursuits in a slow but focused manner........

I get the occasional self -piteous statement from them gradually like I have a full-time job......or financially handicapped sort of remark....... ´No Time´.....´No $$$$´.........So ´No Creations´ sort of remarks.

It does make me wonder if just 3 hours of time allocated within a week is really that unattainable?

In 1 year, you can fullfill 3 hours x 48weeks = 144 hours of creative working hours

Bet you can come up with at least 1 demo recording of at least one single/ one song within a year.

It does make me wonder about such categories of people :

1) Like as if others don´t have a full-time job as well?

2) Like as if others are all born with a silver spoon in their mouths or had inherited one million dollars from their mamas & papas except them?

Even when you meet a so-called composer, arranger, producer, musician......the initial professional way of going about is for them to arrange to hear the singer´s voice and accessing his/her vocal range as their profession is to create music that upholds the strengths of the singer/s.

And on the other hand, the singer is given the option of hearing any existing materials of the composer, arranger, producer........or at least head down to their studios if they have (which most would have at least a very simple and basic studio) to listen to an impromptu display of their works or what they can create spontaneously.

All these would simply just take half a day in your entire life-span.

And then you can perhaps decide if that arranger, composer, producer or musician has the kind of talents, attitude and focus which you are searching the HIs & LOWs for ages.

If not.....then you move on and go on a searchlight trip till you find that X Factor arranger, composer, producer or musician of yours.

The objective is to create a very good demo tape.......as we are surely not as naive or even foolishly pompous as to think that we are a high-end recording studio.

I doubt the art of creation is all about the ruckus based on cents, dollars or not having time.......all it takes is a bit of time allocated per week and a bus fare/MRT ride to the other person´s studio or if not still gather occasionally and I am sure with the the right objective and attitude.......you can still come up with a solution to your woes or the missing elements to your creations/ambitions.

Any musician who comes to the studio is a ´Sessionist´ to me.

On a personal note, I do not believe in such a term as a ´Professional Sessionist´ either.......he/she could be stagnant in his/her style of ´Creations´........after awhile......that they should not loose their passion and not do it strictly for the sake of $$$$.

If a musician were to head down and play what chords are written for them on a piece of paper by the composer, arranger or producer without suggesting improvisations......then I think it would be an ´Off Key´ situation in creating original numbers........those who suffer from ´By The Book´ syndrome.

I would go on a searchlight trip finding a variety of musicians be they buskers in the streets and tap on those who love creating new sounds and do not stick to one aspect of music.......different renditions and suggestions.

But then and again, it is a snowball effect.......a Rigid Arranger, Composer or Producer = Self-Indulgent, Rigid and Stagnant Materials.

And these days/nites......Websites/Collectives started by musicians/singers/producers/arrangers/composers are getting very common like what e-mails or handphones are to individuals these days........but as much as it is easy to set-up one......it is a case of whether you are at ease starting one with the type of materials you are contented about and not a hollow ego-trip or feel ´pressurized´ to start one either.

That it ain´t a case of putting the horse before/behind the cart instead?

Doesn´t it still boils down to quality and not quantity?

Gerry
Free Fallin´ /Into The Great Wide Open/Won´t Back Down/Don´t Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

8)

I guess it all boils down to passion. And where you're headed. Not everyone has the same goals for their music, or what they have not (just playing other's songs).

Some of us are contended using music as a vehicle for escape, paying that $15 to jam for an hour and act like a superstar yet playing out of tune behind closed doors, and later emerging with temporarily deafened ears with happy smiles. Others play covers all their life in pubs as a job and not even care about originals... Coz to them its about the $. And some other bring their music out for the world to appreciate.

We all are musicians and/or instrumentalists in our own right. Its about where you're headed and when you decide to switch lanes...

Lets ask ourselves where we're headed. You've got albums? Where are they now? Who appreciates it? Will you ever know?

The satisfaction doesn't come from people admiring your work, it comes from fulfilling YOUR own goals. If it means making the crowd happy, making yourself happy or making the labels happy, in the end you grow older as a wiser person.

I think it might be a psychological thing...human beings have this in-built denial...if they have mind-blowing talent...they obviously wouldn't be wandering listlessly around going, "I have no money and time"...I think that they actually know...deep down...that they might not be able to make it in the end...and condemn themselves because of this probability...after that...itz just a case of self-fufilling prophecies...and...probably because they know that everyone else can see exactly what's going on...they have to make up excuses to tell other people...just so that they feel better about and with themselves...

Muackz to all...

Tammi

It's a personal thing basically. Blaming it all on $$ and time is myopic and highly subject at best. But isn't blaming it all on lack of drive and passion the same?

I feel it is a mixture of both in our society that constraints talent. Singapore is very unforgiving to budding talents. Look at the market for local talents, it's all chinese pop, some english pop...etc things that sell to the general masses (+ minimum good looking). You don't cut the mould, you don't get the dough.

The cost of failure is great! How many of us here is willing to gamble in a lifestyle? Where the cost of failure is to be a poor, unrecognised musician? Compared to a percieved better lifestyle with conventional jobs? Its like, make it big or be jobless. $$ makes things move in Singapore.

People need a measure of assurance. Even Stephanie Sun completed her studies before striking out....it's like in case she don't make it, at least she has a "skill" other than music.

But I do agree that if you don't try, you will not find out. Which is exactly what is happening now. Many bands/artists are locals who are students, who have jobs, but learn music, perform music on the side. Many mature bands in Singapore have band members that are holding "normal" jobs.

Sadly, these normal jobs have major committments. 8 to 5 on weekdays..maybe 8 to 10 with OT... weekends may have work too, plus family committments...parents/children. Sometimes, got to wonder how an average Singaporean can support the high cost of living, his family, his job and his interests at the same time.

It takes two hands to clap. From an environment that doesn't allow much chances for budding musicians (lack of company/studio sponsorship, luck, chances, market) plus high stress, high cost lifestyle plus people who don't like to venture out of their comfort zones.... all ingredients of lack of "creativity".

Though, I'm sure it's heartening for alot of us to see some local musicians/artists do make it....those who dare and those who can.

Back