Need advice as a newbie aspiring musician

swimDont

Hi all,

Basically I'm a newbie to the music scene and I would like to start a band of sorts just to do some casual jamming (and maybe eventually take things further if it ever happens).
I have just recently started taking singing classes to learn from basics and improve my vocals. (I don't have a music background since young)

The thing is:
- I don't really know any friends who play instruments so the 'form a band with your friends' will not work for me.
- I have a very specific direction of music/sound I would like to pursue but to 'find like-minded' band members is a rather specific request. I'm not very sure where to find.
- As I've mentioned, I only started taking singing classes recently so again, can't expect to find some seasoned musicians to go down to my pace..

So why am I interested in forming a band? Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe attending classes with a teacher can improve in terms of technicalities and theory but if the rest of other free time is spent jamming, I can learn a lot of other stuff from other musicians as well as performing aspects.

I know im being rather anal in my 'demands' in forming a band but it is my idea.

It would also help a lot of someone could tell me if there are other active online music communities where I could read up/ interact with so as to get more info on my hopeful endeavors.

Welcome to discuss and give your inputs in this thread.

Thank you.

1. Record yourself singing
2. Upload to Youtube
3. Post in our Musician Available section

Give it some time, I am sure you will find the right group of people to form a band.

Very succinct answer James!

My two cents:

It's great you have a definite musical direction you want to pursue, and I think that's probably the way to go; most people go through life not knowing what they want to go and blow whichever direction the wind takes them, but I digress.

I believe that without an input, you cannot have an output. Being inspired will help you get to where you want to be, but I do agree that hanging out and jamming with fellow like-minded musos will in all likelihood help you in getting there sooner.

One final thing to say: just be patient with yourself and set some realistic goals. And if your ever get together with other people to jam, to be patient with them as well. Music is a journey, do try to enjoy it.

Good luck!

Back