Mixer or something for DAW?

Hi all,

I'm using Logic Studio currently as my DAW.

Just curious, I'm not a mouse-adjust-knobs-in-Logic kinda guy. Are there interfaces with quite a bit of knobs, that is friendly with Logic Studio to adjust the knobs like panning, plug-ins, and etc?

I'm already on Profire 610 as my interface for mics/instr but only have 1 gain knob.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Rgds,

Depends on your budget and how much you want to control. Usually, you want faders as well as knobs. Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk V-studio Console (I'm sure if can be used for other DAWs other than Sonar), Behringer BCF2000 are a few.

Hi Cheez,

Thanks for the information. I'm looking at prices below 500 for this? Is it too much to spare? I'm in the midst of getting a Yamaha HS50M so it'll burn my wallet quite a bit.

I'm not very familiar in how these work, does that mean the knobs will have presets automatically upon connecting via USB and whicever plug-in or channel you select, the knobs are meant for something?

If that's your budget, the BCF2000 is around your range. Mackie etc are way off budget. They are expensive.

It should come with a software driver. The controls are assignable. So the knobs can be mapped to pan pots, gain, EQ, any control for your VST or effects etc. Same for the faders, although they are usually used for volume control of the tracks - but can also be mapped to anything. I believe you should be able to see that within Logic. I don't use Logic, so Logic users need to come in here. In Sonar, we have a button in the DAW which automatically recognises and maps any control to any controller.

I've read quite a bit online regarding the Behringer. It seemed that it isn't very compatible with Mac and Logic.

However, without using its own programs, can it actually be smart enough to recognize the plug-ins and etc from Logic? And designate the knobs to the respective controls on the Behringer?

Hey Gary,

Checked with Behringer dealer, the BCF3000 is an old model. Discontinued stock. Sad, need to find another controller.

Cheez do you have others for recommendations?

can check out novation sl mk ii

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/zero_sl_mk_ii

the assignment of controls in daw to hardware controller is via midi mapping. Most daws nowadays will have the midi mapping function which allow users to assign the controls to hardware controller.

One good thing about novation is their automap program which will have the daw major controls mapped automatically to the controller.

If its other controller, even without the automap program, there might still be built in template script for different controllers which does the same thing. And if worst case, no such script also within logic, can do manual assigning of the controls to the hardware knobs via midi mapping. One thing good in doing manual midi mapping is that it allow users to customize the controls according to one preference, pretty useful imho

Theres some info here

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...oq=midi+mapping+in+l&pbx=1&fp=d9008d84f286047

Ah yes! Novation. How could I forget that! Automap function will make mapping easy. However, it's not going to be below $500.

I just saw BCF2000 at Excelsior the other day - one of the guitar shops. Can't remember which one.

Checked with Behringer dealer, the BCF3000 is an old model. Discontinued stock. Sad, need to find another controller.

Who ever gave you that information?
I think you mean the BCF2000.
A friend of mine works for the distributor and may be able to arrange this for you. His name is Sean, and can be reached at 96261687

If can get Zero SL Mk II for under $500, then definitely get that one! With Automap, all your headaches re: mapping are solved. Or...switch to Sonar :) which have the ART function (works the same way as the Automap, except now it's within the DAW).

Hey ankurasamtany,

Thanks for the info, actually the guy I checked with was with him lol. Small world eh.

Then again guys, thank you so much for all the information. If I can actually get my hands on BCF3000, might as well give it a try.

Does this 'auto-mapping' function applies to the BCF3000 as well? So it'll auto map when I click up various plug-ins on my main frame and it'll just map the knobs to it?

the so called "auto mapping" is not as straight forward as connecting hardware to computer and there it work.

To establish this mapping procedure, it can take time for developers to come up with a script for individual brand of controller and to ensure its working fine, across different daws.

Even though without auto mapping, things can still work as long learning how to manual mapped controllers via midi. Within the manual for logic, definitely theres a topic for it(pardon, am not on logic, but topic like midi mapping is a fundamental feature of most daws and no way the manual will miss that out). Do go through the manual and see if it helps.

theres couple of videos from youtube as well, on mapping hardware controller in logic, do check out there as well.

Automap is a software related to Novation products that let you map controls easily from your DAW to the Novation controllers. So, it doesn't work on BCF2000. Sonar has a similar function (ART) which works like automap but sits within Sonar. That's the only 2 I know of. Other than that, you can still map cc controls to your midi controller - just take a little programming. Mapping with Automap or ART just makes things easier - press a button, move the control within the DAW and the controller, and they are linked.

For a really inexpensive solution try the Korg Nano series, especially the Korg Nano Kontrol 2 which is less than $100
I'm using it to control my DAW mixer at some times and to control my VST synth filters at other times

try getting novation stuff at Resolution! Visited their new shop at Clarke Quay Central and bought a new controller from them. The tracktor was totally cool~

Back