learning the basics of bass

kreed

hi all, how did all of u start learning to play bass? i mean,like what all of u did and who were the ppl u actually could try to mimic while u were a beginner...or any techniques that u feel is very essential to playing the bass? and how did all of u test out ur very first bass guitar,any special things to look out for?

i switched from classical guitar to bass. didn't like using a guitar pick.

the first thing to do is just get your hands on any bass and start playing. very soon you'll find yourself stuck... that's when u go on the net to pick up tips and tricks thru bass forums. a world of resources there...

www.talkbass.com is a good start.

and for that 1st bass bit, just consider what's in your wallet first, then work from there.

actually...i've been playing classical for almost 3 yrs alreadi...but wad i'm frustrated abt is that i see all these ppl who have played jus as long as me improvise at will and i find it hard to play anything at all...in short, i can only practise and remember but i cant seem to groove...

groove comes from within.. when u feel that ur mind is taking over and the power flows to ur fingers. then u start tapping ur foot and nodding ur head. bounce up and down.. ur drummer is getting high, and ur guitarist starts ripping into a solo!

woo wee.. it;s a tough life being a bassist.

somebody once told me that the music u play comes from ur perspective and experiences in life. and i think that's totally true.. sometimes, no matter how hard u try, u just might not be able to get into 'that' groove. feels weird.. it's totally not you.

dun find the groove, it'll find you.

:wink:

What works for me is - Dont think, Do.

Couple of things I thought of before as a musician:

1) Try too hard = shit happens
2) Thinking too much = not fun while jamming/performing

A wise musician once said to me:"Bass playing is the art of repetition."

Its very true for rhythm section players. If your groove changes every other bar, it would be very unsettling for the listener, and not to mention your bandmates! So just try to keep it simple, and not think so much while playing, and then you can Groove. Have fun (always).

i tink this shld be in the ppl section but anyways..who did ur start listening to when ur JUST STARTED?

Think you can search for bass player online.
Good players are those who can play very busy line but you can't hear it unless pay more attention.
1.Abraham Laboriel
2.John Patitucci
3.Victor Wooten
4.Jaco Pastorius
5.Mark King
6. many more....list goes on

Depend on wat style u like. End of the day the kind of music u hear will influence ur playing.

Groove is also abt timing.George porter, Gary grainger, James Jamerson,Jimmy Haslip,Paul McCartney.

Think like a drummer loh.

Hee basic is important.

cheers

Ben

benjso28 said:
Groove is also abt timing.George porter, Gary grainger, James Jamerson,Jimmy Haslip,Paul McCartney.

+1 for James Jamerson. he showed that you dont need an exotic bass with insanely clear tone to impress people -- all you need is the groove ;)

of course, would be nice to have an exotic bass nonetheless...

Back