Laney tube amp volume loss and temporary fix

Hi everyone!

I've recently purchased a second hand Laney LC15R tube amp from carousell. Originally a combo but had its amp section cut out and re-housed to form a head by the previous owner. 15 watt all tube amplifier.

Currently experiencing this weird volume loss issue.

1) Given 5 minutes to warm up tubes

2) Volume is alright for the first 10 minutes of playing then gradually starts to drop to a certain point and remains stagnant. Tone also suffers especially the headroom and the bass end.

3) A temporary fix I've found is to turn up the master volume knob to around 3 o'clock. Throughout the turn of the vol knob the actual volume increases slowly. Then suddenly at about the 3 o'clock mark the amp suddenly roars at its correct volume. When i turn back the master volume knob back to 9 o clock, the problem is fixed, with the proper tone returning back.

It is as if something in the circuit is jammed and stuck, and pumping current into the amp allows it to 'unclog' and play at its intended volume.

4) About an hour or so later the volume starts to dip even lower than the first time round. This time round i do not dare to mess with the vol control and scared that i might blow up the amp hahaha.

Was told by the previous owner that the tubes were newly changed. Is it possible that i've gotten a bad tube? Has anyone had the same problem before and any solutions?

Feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

hmm might be the master pot itself that is scratchy? anyway it would be good to have a tech to have a look at it

Back