How long do you take to learn keyboard?

Depends on several factors: whether you have a natural flair, how much effort you put into practicing, the genre you want to play, level the proficiency you are aiming for, whether you have a teacher, whether your teacher is helpful etc.

You shouldn't be focusing on "how long it will take". If you have an interest, focus on your interest rather than the "end result". That will make it more of an enjoyment rather than completing a task. After all, we all play music for the enjoyment and the fun of it.

Yeah. Because i have a gang of noobs wanting to form a band and all of us are learning new instrument. So i wonder how long will it take. How long did you take?

How long did I take? Not sure. It's a process for me. Started when I was 3 years old. Started classical. I moved on to contemporary/pop/jazz only after I completed my ABRSM. So my improvisation was built on the background of theory + a good ear. Started moving into contemporary and pop when I was about 16, I think. I think it was about 1-2 years after that when I started playing pop/contemporary/gospel in live situations.

It's more than 20 years ago since I first started into improvisation/pop/contemporary/jazz. You can guess my age... I think I'm the same age as James...

If all of you are learning new instruments, then I would suggest just go for the fun of it. You'll each need to spend time individually on your instruments. Playing as a group is a different set of skills which takes time to develop. But don't worry about all these. Just have fun first!

Cheez, we are so young. Ha..ha...

drumz_yunjie, if your goal is to learn 1 song, it will takes about 1 week. The good thing about keyboard is that if you do it often enough, you will get it right. You don't need to use much brain power. Just finger power.

The difficult part is YOUR FINGERS will not move as you wish it to. That's where the 7 days of repeated playing of the same thing, over and over again until your finger will start moving on its own. Even when you are asleep. Ha..haa

It depend how much effort you put in. Getting it right and master the feel is different things and it varies on different people.

However, playing with a group is totally different skills too. It not only relies on your capability of playing but also listen and knowing what to do. It's not like everyone playing their own toy in a room, this will end up a mess and crappy playing such as the volume control for individual and etc etc...

Also for jamming, it usually take some time of training before you can actually get the hang of it. Some people can play instrument very well off the scores, but when come to jamming, they can't do it.

So all these are different skills you need to acquire during your journey of learning. Of course, obtain the basic keyboard playing first and soon you will understand and progress to playing as a group and jam.

Well, i'm interested to take up keyboard but how long do i need?

depends on what you want to achieve ?

- learn to play melody with right hand
- play melody with chords by left hand
- play comping in a band
- play along with sequenced music
- improvisation and soloing

Back