How long do you practised your bass a day

purplehaze3691

Hello fellow groove makers,

Just like to know how long do you practised your bass a day and what do you practised. I am going back to my bass guitar now as I have been practising more on the guitar. For now I am going back to the basics strengtening my fingers by playing the 1st fret to the 4th fret on everystring till my fingers get tired which is about 10 mins for now at a time

cheers
purplehaze3691

i love stretching from 1st to 5th fret. den move on to do more stretching 4 about 30 mins, before practising scales, different scale numbers, intervals. usually bout an hr or so each nite, maybe on weekends, practise a song or tow, juz to help me with timing.

Yeah .. all around the same time lah ... nowadays quite lazy so 1 hour or more ... if got time 2 hours ... nowadays i think i'm getting old, can't go past 3 hours. Last time can last up to 6 hours everyday

Man ... i'm crazy last time ..

1-3 hours. if no time, at least touch it and get about 10 minutes work of riffs and messing around

i think it's generally harder for a bassist to practice, c'mon scales are a bore dont u think? (but i love em as much)

i've found out i'm at my "practicing best" when practicing for a gig! cuz i can be free to add on the the empty parts of the song, groove to a different beat, etc

Practise timing, scaling, slapping, popping, snapping, thumping, harmonics, 2-3 finger plucking,new groove, and many many more...tapping...lists go on

Play with a band is fun but self practise will enhance the band even more?

Quite different playing alone and as a band. Both are important. 8)

Cheers,

Ben

CrispyEgg said:
i think it's generally harder for a bassist to practice, c'mon scales are a bore dont u think? (but i love em as much)

Scales can be a bore but just because you're pracitising your bass doesn't mean you're limited to scales right ;) Look at the sound samples posted in the other thread... to me, that's practice because that's when you can come up with different grooves and fill-ins to drop into your songs.

And of course... look at all the solo bassists out there. They don't even have a band in some of their songs ;)

But yea. Like what benjso said, both are important.

haha yea i love those solos like wooten's and stu's... but somehow, i'm abit rhythm-deaf, if there's such a thing... i cant come up with my own rhythms! i can groove pretty well, but i suck when someone asks me to start a bass line... i need like a simple drumbeat to get me going...

i need more self-practice :D

o and i love practicing tapping. not very "applicable" most of the time, but heck its fun :D anybody got any tapping techniques (slide n tap, tap thump or watever) that u wanna share! post it! i love tapping techqs...

Hi everyone would like ask are there any good exercises for "warming up"?
i usually jus play scales...mainly major scales..
may i noe wat scales u guys would recommend practicing other than jus major scales?thanks!

Black Moo: agreed :D

setsuna83 said:
... any good exercises for "warming up"?
... recommend practicing other than jus major scales?thanks!

well u could try the japanese scale, that's a spicy one... u didn't list pentatonic, u don't have to, but it's probably one of the mose useful scales for a bassist...

Back