home theatre to my IO

computers70

I have my old home theatre speakers, I would like to connect to my IO. According to my friends advice, he said I am not able to, as he said it is not a self powered monitor so it may need amp of some sort. Is there any cheap amp, for this kind of situation.

Are you using your home theater system's AV receiver as well? If yes, then you can connect your audio interface to it and use the speakers.

If you are just using the speakers alone, then no it won't work as you need a power amp to drive the speakers.

How cheap is cheap? If you want something to just drive the speakers, can just use back the system that you are using the speakers previously. However, I would just recommend you to get some 2nd hand decent powered monitors.

It is no advisable to connect to home theater amp. Most consumer amp do not have clip protection, unless you are using pro amps.

When I just started out, I was using a Boss BX8 connected to my Sony FH313 mini compo.

Where were the home theatre speakers connected to before? Do you still have the amp that powered it? Can try to see if the speakers are still working first or if they still sound ok.

What Cavett said. Just dig out your old receiver and use the receiver's in-built amps to drive the speakers.

And as Kongwee mentioned, just don't overdrive your amp and cause clipping and it should be fine.

Btw, why are you connecting hifi speakers to IO?

Back