Home recording help!!

peterok

Hi folks, here are my gears,

Zoom R16 8input interface
1 x Condenser
1 x Mic

Usually when I'm in the jamming studio, I would line in the keys, mic up vocals and drum with 1 overhead and 1 mic into the bass. Now, here the problem with the guitar. I would plug out the connecting cable that connects the guitar head to the cab and plug directly into my interface instead. So guitarist continues using the amp as per normal but we hear from the monitors now instead of the cab. Just want to know if have I done it wrong? And if right, what's the differences if I use 8ohm instead of 16 and likewise...

Hi folks, here are my gears,

Zoom R16 8input interface
1 x Condenser
1 x Mic

Usually when I'm in the jamming studio, I would line in the keys, mic up vocals and drum with 1 overhead and 1 mic into the bass. Now, here the problem with the guitar. I would plug out the connecting cable that connects the guitar head to the cab and plug directly into my interface instead. So guitarist continues using the amp as per normal but we hear from the monitors now instead of the cab. Just want to know if have I done it wrong? And if right, what's the differences if I use 8ohm instead of 16 and likewise...

Generally, it's not a good idea to plug in the output from the power-amp itself, the output power and impedance is designed to drive speaker cabs. The guitar speaker cab contributes heavily to the tone of the guitar, leaving it out of the equation might not be a good idea.

You can either:
1. Mic up the guitar cab using a mic, eg. SM57
2. If the amp head have an effects loop, you can patch the "Send" into your interface, and use a software cab simulator.
3. Some amp head have direct out, which may or may not incorporates a cab simulator. (Eg. The H&K Redbox)

Back