HELP to set up a home multi track recording

Autospy

Hey,

well im thinking of making a home recording studio. As all my band mates are staying nearby. But then i still didnt know what type of things to buy and which is good or bad. So im thinking if anyone of you could help me with this. Im just so new to this. There is some budjet limit which is 400-600dollars. But if can maybe lower? haha.

1. All i know is pro tools but i heard there's some recording stuff comes with a pro tools. am i right? or is there any better stuff which you guys could recommend.
2. Can i or is it good to record with electric drumset? because i wanna try to reduce noise.
3. I heard theres is indirect and direct record but i choose to record amp to mic to com. which some people say is much more better.
4. Is it ok if i use a laptop?
5. can you tell me a list of what to buy and how much does it cost.
6. How many different type of mic do i need to use? and what is each mic purpose.

I hope by this, you guys could help me. Im a serious newbie to recording stuff. If can you guys could tell me in details or other type of information. Give me the list of what to buy if can also. Thank you. :D
If you selling any also can just pm me. because im interested.

hi Autospy

This is one of the frequently asked question and I told myself that I will put up a comprehensive article on it sometime soon. Hopefully sooner.

Anyway, welcome to the beautiful world of sound engineering!

There are many ways to go about recording a band but some of the equipment you will need are as follow.

1. Microphone
2. Cable
3. Mixer
4. Audio interface (if you are recording into computer)
5. Multi-track recorder (if you prefer non-pc based)
6. Monitor speakers (or headphones)

Most of these are not cheap. Your budget of $400-$600 is too low. You need to add another '0' to your budget.

What do you have currently? Electronic drums? Any guitar amps? Microphone?

I have all the recording equipment, like guitar, electric drums, amp and mic.
Just the things to record it is what im not sure. speakers and all that not to worry. thats what im thinking of. :D

HOPE THIS HELPs

Its possible to record with 600 budget. But it will be at a hobbyist level to say the least but u can make good multi tracked recordings no doubt.

What i recommend is... get an interface with already a mic pre amp built in. Most entry level has a High Z input to accomodate guitars and basses. they are the multi input where u can put xlr and 1/4 jacks olso.(most MIC PRE AMPS means u can supply power(phantom power) to condensor mics. but dun be fooled.some interface cant supply phantom power. An interface is just a sound card.some interface includes a mic pre amp.

Secondly id reccomend u search around for an interface with a bundled cubase LE software supplied. Cubase LE that comes bundled is more useful as a recording daw compared to some interfacecs that come with ableton live. Doesnt mean with ableton u cant do recording but if i were to compare for the purpose of recording and easy learning, its hard to beat cubase Le for the league of freebie daw that come in a bundle
Dunt get me wrong.. im not a marketing man for CUbase coz im using logic right now. i was thinking from the perspective of your budget.

One of the reccomended list of interfaces will be from tapco, alesis, native instruments, or maybe line 6. To my personal preferences , comparing bang for buck, Line 6 doesnt cut it even though they may be appealing at first. for a little price increase, you can get good quality interfaces thats more serious in nature. Im using NI audio control 1 and it sounds fantastic. and the interface comes with cubase LE but i never used it as i use logic 8. M audio interfaces are great too... but they dunt come with cubase LE. If your thinking of buyingloveur next pc or laptop...try out a mac. they have this software called garageband thats fantastic for beginners. and its free too...may famous artists uses it to start a foundation in their songwriting. Or you can try this freeware audacity. its free and you can be on your way to recording your stuff.

Id reccomend this shop, resolution from sunshine plaza if you would like to get help in starting out. One of the staff's name is ron and hes a great fella to talk to to start help you out and they sell a fair decent amount of gear ranging from the dirt bottom to the high end.

You can go search this website www.soundonsound.com the prev articles are free to read and go look at their product reviews. You can better decide what to buy after reading what are the pros opinion of a product.

i hope i cleared some air for you. Pls note that im not a salesman or i endorse any products, but for what i can recommend u is, learn how to do a little bit of audio engineering stuff and thats one of the best investments youll ever make in tandem with buying new gear.. if your serious, in singapore theres this school, www.saesingapore.com
and they're one of the major players in audio engineering education in singapore if not the best.

if you got any specific enquiries you can email me at rider_rage@hotmail.com

presonus fp10. ron resolution sells. but $600 budget abit low. you'll need at least $1K (to buy more cables+mics for multitrack drums etc)

Back