Good guitar shops in Australia?

L3stat

Hey fellas, will be heading to Sydney and Melbourne next week, might have some free time. Does anyone know of good guitar shops with large selections? Like a Tom Lee in HK, Rudy's in NYC etc. I know gear is generally more expensive there, but my fellow guitar playing colleague is not price-sensitive at all. ;) I am though! :mrgreen: Thanks in advance!

Allans music is a good place where they allow you to test all their gear out.
They have very nice testing rooms with all kinds of stuff there.

Price wise is expensive, but good selection.

Thanks lightice. You're right:

Gibson Les Paul Standard - 50s Neck
Allans Price $4,799.00

Maybe they're doing a Swee Lee, but that price is enough to scare people off! Will check it out though, thanks! Keep the recommendations coming! :mrgreen:

alot of shops...if U into Fender, check the Fender website for Australia distributors...

I bought my set of hot noiseless pick ups in SYD a while back - prices not too bad too

When in Melbourne, check out Billy Hydes Music (2 locations - Blackburn & Essendon). The Blackburn is their main store if i'm not wrong (its been 3 yrs since I been back there). Oh, and Virgil Donati works at their Essendon store when he's not touring/sessioning, so there's a plus to go check them out :D

AU shops

i'd recommend venue music in sydney.

those guys are fantastic! billy hydes is pretty decent too.

for those of you guys who are going to perth, do check out kosmic sound too!

Depends on what sort of things you're looking for. I would suggest you check out any of the Billy Hyde stores, they carry some cool stuff and ENGL amps. In Sydney spend a day down Parramatta Road, all the vintage guitar shops are there, and there's also Music City Sydney along that road; they carry ENGL, Framus and Genz Benz. (notice a trend in my preference in stores? :p)

If you have time in Sydney, go check out Coogee beach too, I can't remember the name of the road but its the main one leading to the beach, going downhill. My favourite shop there is Guitar Crazy, they have heaps of used and vintage Fender and Gibsons.

Allan's Music has more variety of pedals. for guitars, they deal grestch, fender, ibanez, gibson and yamaha if i'm not wrong.. plus it's only a little outside Melbourne City. great location, great service.

there's a billy hyde at blackburn, yeah. it deals squeir and other generally cheaper stuff. but i guess you'd have to drive there.

cheers bro.

Allans is a good place to test stuff, they have no restriction as long as you do not damage the guitar.

I've seen guys go through piles of guitars and not buying anything.
No complains from the staff.

And the staff most of the time do give genuine comments on how the gear sounds, even if it sucks for what you're after.

Don't bother buying any gear here, everything is expensive.
Unless you're looking for aussie made stuff such as ledford, ulbrick, cole clark, maton and maybe MI Audio.

Testing stuff ba there, it definately is expensive there.

Gear in australia is generally more expensive cause of the VAT.

Hey fellas, thanks for all the recommendations. Didn't get so much free time, so only hit Allan's in both places. Range is so-so, seen much better at the likes of Tom Lee, and the prices are FWAH! :mad: Didn't spend too much time there, so can't do a good report. But what y'all said is right, Australia is hardly the best place to buy gear. A$4,800 for a LP std!

Back