first bass

bbryann

hey guys.
any advice for what bass i should get?
i'm looking for something that is reliable but not too expensive, maybe in the range of $250-350 (not including amp).
genres i'm into playing would probably be classic rock, funk and maybe some pop.
can someone fill me in about the body,neck and pickup options?
thanks!

any advice for what bass i should get?
i'm looking for something that is reliable but not too expensive, maybe in the range of $250-350

go for the low to mid-priced Yamahas and Ibanez, these are solid basses.

can someone fill me in about the body,neck and pickup options?
thanks!

Are you a big guy with long arms and fingers? then any bass will do but if you're the opposite, you have to consider the size and weight of the bass, the neck radius and the fret spacings. Be sure that you can actually reach the 1st fret (F) on E string with your index finger and the 4th fret (G#) with your pinky. Pick-up is just a matter of preferences, passive or active, both have strong points and weak points. Remember, bass pick-ups, no matter how well-built, won't cure any bad sounding bass. Personally, I never use active pick-up because there is always one variable that is not within my control, electrons. With passive pickup, I know my bass won't go kamikaze in a middle of a gig, with active circuitry, there is always that fear of my pick-up going south. Anyway, its up to you, active or passive, both are great . When you buy your first bass, try to play it strapped-on and standing. Don't sit down while trying to play the bass, you don't sit on a gig right? So better see if the bass is comfortable to play in real live situation.

go for the low to mid-priced Yamahas and Ibanez, these are solid basses.

Are you a big guy with long arms and fingers? then any bass will do but if you're the opposite, you have to consider the size and weight of the bass, the neck radius and the fret spacings. Be sure that you can actually reach the 1st fret (F) on E string with your index finger and the 4th fret (G#) with your pinky. Pick-up is just a matter of preferences, passive or active, both have strong points and weak points. Remember, bass pick-ups, no matter how well-built, won't cure any bad sounding bass. Personally, I never use active pick-up because there is always one variable that is not within my control, electrons. With passive pickup, I know my bass won't go kamikaze in a middle of a gig, with active circuitry, there is always that fear of my pick-up going south. Anyway, its up to you, active or passive, both are great . When you buy your first bass, try to play it strapped-on and standing. Don't sit down while trying to play the bass, you don't sit on a gig right? So better see if the bass is comfortable to play in real live situation.

haha i would suggest to just get a bass that feels and sounds good for you first. get a seasoned bassist to go with you too. don't worry about the action, pickups etc for now, usually the Yamaha and Ibanez basses already have good setup.

and that is if you have not gotten your bass yet haha :D

I bought the SX jazz bass pack from Davis Guitars at $250 as my first bass. It was really good for it's price. It was really comfortable to play and sounded quite good according to my peers. No additional work needed, I think the guys at Davis had already setup the bass nicely.

oh dam...i wanted to try bass and read one of the comments that ur pinky have to reach the 4th fret...i can barely touch the 4th fret with my pinky on the guitar!!!

oh dam...i wanted to try bass and read one of the comments that ur pinky have to reach the 4th fret...i can barely touch the 4th fret with my pinky on the guitar!!!

haha either you are still young or your hands are just naturally small. in any case i think it's no harm learning guitar or bass, don't let it limit you from your interest :-D

Back