DW and IC pedals... the same??

melvin

hey hey i was searching TAMA on wikipedia and discovered something real interesting.. read on..

"In 1974, Hoshino introduced the Tama brand. They were successful in marketing lower cost Philippine mahogany shelled drums at a much lower price point than the more expensive maple shelled drums offered by Rogers, Ludwig and Slingerland at the time. Tama and Drum Workshop (DW) jointly bought the bankrupt Camco Drum Company. As part of the deal, DW received the Camco tooling and manufacturing equipment while Tama received the Camco name, designs, engineering and patent rights.

At the time, Camco was producing what was thought to be the best drum pedal on the market. DW continued production of the pedal using the original tooling, rebadging it as the DW5000. Tama began production of the same pedal under the Camco name. The Tama version of the Camco pedal is commonly referred to as the Tamco pedal to distinguish it from an original Camco pedal. Tama integrated all the engineering from Camco into their production process and the overall level of quality of their drums increased virtually overnight. The original plan was to market the low end Tama drums to beginners and use the Camco brand to sell high end drums to professional musicians. Unfortunately, even the professionals were starting to use the Tama drums because the low cost of the Asian made drums with the (now) high quality of hardware was a great combination.

The Iron Cobra has the same configuration options as the original Camco pedal and the current DW5000 pedal. These are Power Glide, Rolling Glide and Flexi Glide. Power Glide pedals have an offset cam chain drive. This causes the beater to accelerate faster towards the end of the pedal stroke. This drive system is identical to the DW Accelerator pedals (DW5000AD or DW5000AX models) or the Camco Deluxe model bass drum pedals. The Rolling Glide pedals maintain a fixed ratio of footboard speed to beater speed and the drive system is identical to the DW Turbo pedals (DW5000TD3 or DW5000CX). Finally, the Flexi Glide pedals are a nylon strap driven pedal that has the exact same drive system that was found on the Camco pedals in the 50s. Again, DW makes a pedal with this same drive system under the DW5000ND3 and DW5000NX model names. "

omg its e same thing after all, just the price difference eh? i never knew.

anyway heres the link to this article..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tama_Seisakusho

Must also take into account the cam size difference, gauge of the spring that is provided, beater weight, footboard weight....not just the cam shapes....dw and ic both feel very different....

What are the price differences like?

It never hit me that these 2 companies are actually related in such a way haha.

ya alvin is right. Haha IC got the "heavy" feel not to sure about 5000's. and i love IC beaters :)

Both of them are different. IC is far better than DW. There are cases of DW pedalboard broke in half but still no cases of IC broke yet. If i'm not wrong DW pedals are more expensive than IC. Ya the conclusion is choose IC ;D

Just my 0.02cent (;

Yup, news and complains of DW pedal board breakage is all over....I think the pedals are really over-priced...

Feel free to come check out the Eliminators at my studio....much cheaper and built really well. Other pedals to consider are the Mapex pedals. They're built really well too and way cheaper than the DWs....

The drive system (the cam types, etc.) is the same, but that doesn't mean manufacturing is the same or that other parts are the same. For example, the DW5000 has the Delta Ball-bearing hinge, whereas the Iron Cobra uses another type of hinge (the website calls it the "Oiles" bearing hinge and says it's better than ball bearing hinges - ha!). The beaters are also different.

And yes, the history of the two drum companies are related. Another lesser known drum history fact - DW's famous lugs did not originate with DW, but were the trademark of a small drum company called George Way. IIRC, George Way was bought over by Camco, which was then bought over by DW. So some very old drums with DW lugs are actually George Ways.

i've been using my DW 5000 generation 1 for like 6 yrs now man. its beat up like hell but its never broken down on me. so i reckon if the footboard breaks might be the player hitting too hard. but i really dun know.

Yo mark...not every foot board will break lah given the same pounding....just like my home's air-conditioning system. Every unit is the same....I use the master-bedroom's unit as much as my daughter uses hers....but her's broke down twice already for the same given period and usage...

There has been a history of complains on DW foot board breakage but there're also some metal drummers out there that swears by its toughness. This just shows that their QC standard need some improvement I guess...even if its just 1% of each production line that breaks....its a lot given the amount they manufacture.

Haha but IC and Elims tend to be pretty heavy right? i don't really see many jazz players who use IC or Elims...

Dammit!!!! i'm gonna be endorsed by DW in the near future so i have to toot their horn, gd tht u caught me misleading the youth of soft.

Back