Drum Notation

7earsDoFall

Hmm... I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I would like to get some views on this by fellow drummers who type out/read/play to drum notations & scores. I understand that drum notations are not very universally exact and I see different ways of typing out drum scores. Just would like to ask what is the most common style of notation that is being used out there now? What are Singaporean drummers using?
Here are some aspects I'm referring too...
1. Combined hands and legs ... or...
split hands & legs into 2 voices ... or ...
split cymbals & drums into 2 voices
2. Crash - x note head on first ledger line ... or ...
x note head enclosed with a circle <-- if this is used, how do you identify crash 2, splash or china?
3. Toms only occupy spaces only ( high tom is on the G note)
4. Snare is on the b note line .... or ...
snare is on the c note space
5. kick is on the e & f note ... or ...
d note
6. during double bass, do you alternate the e & d note ... or ....
e note through out
7. hi-hat on g note ... or...
f line
*the notes I'm referring to are read in treble clef.
Well I believe what I have listed out is used everywhere, is just that some are more common than others. Just want to know what are your views. And finally... since there are so many different ways of drum notations.. does that mean professional drummers are efficient at interpreting all sorts of notations to play accordingly? Well i mean.. they should be efficient at it, shouldn't they? And how should we as drummers be efficient at adapting to different notations?

"That would be like trying to repair a car without the manual. "

HAHAHA . well said .

BUTTTTT ... it can be a good thing too ! let's say if it's supposed to be a ... ride ? let's take ride .

but it doesnt say what it is . how ?

maybe you can do it on a cowbell , or mounted tambourine or whatever you like . make it more like a rough guide , but be creative and use whatever you can think of . you might create a groove with a whole new feeling , but if other musicians were to play along , they could , it's just a "remix" of the original beat .

cool huh ?

be creative.

coooool.... i see a drummer who's taking it really seriously . :O

and sure i havent worked on a car before , i'm not even the person driving . get what i mean ? :)

just try to relax , gosh . do i even know you ? i'm sure i didnt offend you in anyway , i always make sure i give beggars some cash , maybe i was on the phone and missed you .

or did step daddy touch you again ? :O

Of course I take drumming seriously. Don't you? (Otherwise I wouldn't be posting in this forum.)

"oh gawd he replied tuh meh quotez ! wat shuz i says ? lemmez break things duwn and slowly defend tis insecure mehz."

Duly noted and obvious to anyone with a cognizant capacity.

"shiats , he gurt me , i hav nutthin to say here , letz mehz juz act like i umm stillz gud at itz . letz juz type sum rundum stuff which endz up tuh nut sayin anuhthing."

Who said I wasn't relaxed? I'm perfectly at ease. You should see me when I get worked up. Know me? I wouldn't know; that's up to you. Of course you didn't offend me. It would take better than you to do that. I'm glad you give cash to beggars, but you sure you can afford it, though? I mean... there are other ways to assuage a guilty conscience. It wasn't me you missed, but it was sumpthin'.

"ouh gawd. ouh gawd ! nuh i'm relax , common , take ehz deep breath . sinze umm sturting tuh luze , lezts juz say sumthing tuh make himz scares . "you should see me when i get worked up." shudz work .

Amazing how family secrets are unintentionally projected through feeble attempts.

"umm luzt fer wurds , lemme use teh preskool methud of toking bakz."

You have a nice day, too. :roll:

"i'm actualliz soh pissed n mad butz i muzt keep act lykz umm cool , "you have a nice day , too :roll:" tatz shud make me luks lyk i dun care ands im cuul . ouh waitz , he never wishz meh a gud day in teh first place ? guh nevar mundz , umm still cuul and teh bezt."

"nuw tatz i hav quoted evary thngs , i fill more secure n kan go tuh bedz . hupefully i wunt tis . i rilly nid tuh noe im teh bezt. "

Last edited:
OlaskZ, if you want to quarrel over something as trivial as this, use PM. This thread is meant for discussing the OP's questions and drum notation, not for squabbles.

does that mean professional drummers are efficient at interpreting all sorts of notations to play accordingly? Well i mean.. they should be efficient at it, shouldn't they? And how should we as drummers be efficient at adapting to different notations?
That depends. Some professional drummers play by ear. That doesn't mean they can't read notes though, it just means they don't go through the hassle of having to learn to read everything they play. But if you do know how to read everything you can play, it's of course a great thing.

Just fyi, I mainly play by ear, but I do know how to read to an extent. I take lessons, they teach a lil' bit of theory.

Edit: Nope, I used this post for telling the OP something. Can't you see?

Last edited:
OlaskZ, if you want to quarrel over something as trivial as this, use PM. This thread is meant for discussing the OP's questions and drum notation, not for squabbles.

Mr. Mouse , if you want to tell me something as trivial as this , use PM .

USADRUMMER , if you want to quarrel over something as trivial as this, use PM. This thread is meant for discussing the OP's questions and drum notation, not for squabbles.

Back