buying from ishibashi - import duty

choykaiwen

Hi, I'm trying to order a guitar from ishibashi, but they say I will have to pay import duties. Does anyone know what is that and how much I'm expected to pay?

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what import duties u're referring to - internally in Japan or in Singapore?

From what I understand to get anything into Singapore > $400SGD you'll need to pay GST.

For Japan they have taxes there but we're exempted from it as we're buying outside of Japan.

choykaiwen said:
Hi, I'm trying to order a guitar from ishibashi, but they say I will have to pay import duties. Does anyone know what is that and how much I'm expected to pay? Thanks.
Halo JOEL68,

Where are you? This young chap needs your advice!

You pay 5% GST to the postman when he delivers it to your door.

I ordered from them and that's what happened. You don't pay any Japanese duty.

nope

1) ishibashi uses EMS (a japan post service if i m not mistaken) , no $10 singpost charge. i have heard it singpost would charge you an Additional $5 if delivered to your doorstep. they would call you upon delivery and you can

a) pick it up at the nearest post office or
b) get them to drop it off at your place

2) any charges for ishibashi. there are predominantly 2 charges

a) shipping charge. the shipping charge would be yen 10.000 which is approximately SGD$155 at current exchange rates.it WOULD NOT be cheaper to ship via VPOST as you have to wait longer , pay both internal japan taxes, and have insurance on your shipping up to $400, whereas EMS is within 7 days, air freight immediatly from ishibashi warehouses and your guitar would be fully insured and returnablefor an instant refund on the spot if there were to be any defect
b) 5% GST would be made payable to the singapore government upon collection of the guitar at singpost. i have heard 2 conflicting reports of payment methods. one says you must pay when the goods arrive, and the other says you must pay the GST in FULL within the period of 6 months after reciving the goods.

Back