Beware of Fakes thread!

reez_rock

Hi Guys,
I created this thread to create some awareness of the fake guitars that quite commonly be found nowadays. Also to educate those less experience people(including me :)) of how to differentiate the originals and the fakes...hopefully our guitar gurus in this forum would love to share their experience and knowledge.....

I'm sharing my experience now....I owned a Gibson Zakk Wylde camo copy....a friend bought it in China during his business trip....when I opened the softcase....I was like "wow"....but....

They put a lot of efforts on the cosmetic and will be able to fool a lot of inexperience people. But, when I checked it carefully, a lot of messy paint job found especially on the neck joint and behind the neck...The neck was made out of a lot of joints...including the headstock and the set in joint was made of 2 different woods as well...1 knock and you'll get a 2 pieces of neck already :D

Then I moved on...and plug the guitar to my amp....the sound is very dull, and when I on my distortion, very noisy and no note definition.

I brought the guitar to bro Cekikdarah and he helped me to install 2 duncan pups. When he opened the stock pups, we was surprised to see how messy the wiring is and a LOT of excess woods came off from the pups cavity.....

The sad thing is knowing the fact that this guitar is the hottest item that I ever sold off in this forum. only a few minutes after posting my ad, I received 3 sms-es and 2 pms and within an hour of time, one guy came to grab the guitar.

It's a pity that a lot of people still willing to buy and support these fakes...

eh... why everyone keep starting new threads on this matter... the more we talk abt them its acheiving their goal of attraction attention to their fake products.

The sad thing is knowing the fact that this guitar is the hottest item that I ever sold off in this forum. only a few minutes after posting my ad, I received 3 sms-es and 2 pms and within an hour of time, one guy came to grab the guitar.

It's a pity that a lot of people still willing to buy and support these fakes...

its a good cause of a thread like this, i fully support.

but then, i start to wonder over it, by buying a fake one and then to resell it, isnt it a bit weird, even thou before the sale, its already stated fake? Heh, the highlighted part just for something which i thought its oxymoron

I mean, wont it be like spreading the 'spirit' of fake supporting, in some sort of way? Instead of ending the spreading of such thinig, now its being passed to another side.

Not to flame, but looking for a discussion

oh and to re unknown, with a thread like this, it aint to create biz for them, but to have awareness of what is and whats not. The less we talk, the more they can fool.

As for them to spam forum here(as in start a thread under their name and showing their site to push their product) and US responding in their spam thread to ask them to stop spaming, that, is helping them to bump their thread and spread more words on their product

There is a difference between this 2 action. The recent post by the maker of fake guitars under a different name, yet you still see some people who post replies to ask them to stop, did you realise that these people are the one helping them to bump and spread their service?

Hehe, dont be a wrong righteous person doing right things in the wrong way, coz it is helping spammers in some ways of another without seeing the side effect while wanting to be righteous ...

goes to show that people are paying for brand name and not the quality. that's why people so eager to buy the zakk wylde les paul even though they know it's a poor quality fake.

PatheinRaindropMoe : Yeah...you made me feel guilty man...I never thought abt it when I sold it....That time I also quite curious to know abt people response as well as in the need of money...:)

goes to show that people are paying for brand name and not the quality. that's why people so eager to buy the zakk wylde les paul even though they know it's a poor quality fake.

you never know, after all they might just wanna buy that "gibson zakk wylde les paul" just to hang it up for show, like as a decor you get what i mean. like quite a few others, i wouldnt mind buying a cheapo gibson or fender from a china imitation company at a low price (maybe 200 or cheaper) just for the sake of using it as a decoration at home, while use a proper guitar when i wanna play.

I still think the best way to avoid ending up with a fake is to buy from the official dealer as stated by the website. But I think we should post some ways we can use to make sure we purchase the genuine article and not a fake.

Apparently companies like Ibanez are aware of fakes already. Ibanez had this notice on its website recently and I think this helps to deter fake manufacturers.

Last edited:
i've never believed fake epiphones existed, until i saw this today.
EpiPossibleFake.jpg

look at the black one.
the purple one at the back is the glitter LP which is genuine.
compare cutaway, knob positions and headstock logo :p

the serial number also is EE03******* which means MIC 2003.
didnt know they had MIC in 2003, maybe they did, some epiphone fan would know better.

Last edited:
hmm... fakes are always around to earn money and stuff..
recently i saw a fender tele fake ones... the paint job was all well done..
but the pick ups are like... WTH..
sounds like an awful sammick or something...

if you see the paint jobs great you gotta check out the sound.

ps. check out where is it made from.. it'll be a big bonus too

Latest posts

Back