Beginner Bass

Jabsbass

I was wondering, does anyone have any music books for bass to recommend to someone who has totally no knowledge of bass and music? my schedule doesn't allow me to attend bass lessons at a music school. :(

Grooving for heaven DVD series by Norm Stockton.
There is a music book sold at yamaha called music theory for bass player, that book will cover some music theory, notation and etc.
You might like to take a look at the sticky lesson in this forum and visit some of the websites stated there that teaches bass.

Visual guide with notation is a good way to learn. Can watch over and over again.
Cheers

bass book u should get

i am veryy new to the bass too.I strongly recommm you to buy this book called first bass.it teaches you ALOT

just to add on that if you're starting with books, the beginner books all cover mostly the same material.. so don't go and get every one of them, one or max two should be sufficient.

i also recommend get a teacher early (even if its just for a couple of lessons) so that you don't internalise ways of playing that will eventually make you hit a plateau.

the book called first bass

you can get it at borders or even kinokuniya or however u spell it
the one at taka.but i had to go thru alot of books to find it.

cheers

hi, ex yamaha student here. studied bass under 2 diff teachers.

i found the school somewhat rigid and i wld say the course syllabus and material isn't user friendly and not easily applied... but the good thing for bass lessons there is tt they are one to one, so you can ask questions and customise your learning to some extent.

Yamaha

hi, ex yamaha student here. studied bass under 2 diff teachers.

i found the school somewhat rigid and i wld say the course syllabus and material isn't user friendly and not easily applied... but the good thing for bass lessons there is tt they are one to one, so you can ask questions and customise your learning to some extent.

Rigid is the correct word. Yamaha is very adamant in music theory so sometimes it can take the fun out of playing for those who just wants to learn how to play. Learning at Yamaha can be tedious sometimes but it's rewarding. Look for another private teacher after you finish book 2. You can ask me for the contacts of some very good bass teachers in Singapore! God bless.

Grooving for heaven DVD series by Norm Stockton.
There is a music book sold at yamaha called music theory for bass player, that book will cover some music theory, notation and etc.
You might like to take a look at the sticky lesson in this forum and visit some of the websites stated there that teaches bass.

Visual guide with notation is a good way to learn. Can watch over and over again.
Cheers

heys i love this DVD man! Norm is cool, i love the way he demos the thumbing and slapping technique while staring at the camera haha! :)

This is the book

51UsmDvfxpL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

But I personally feel that the Hal Leonard Bass Method series are better.

Back