audio interface

a couple of question after being confused by all the info online

1.) does audio interface always = better input sound

2.)what extra stuff do you get control over when you use an audio interface

3.) for a beginner does anyone have any recommendations for any audio interfaces? (i mainly just wana record guitars,pianos and synths thats all)

1. Audio interface vs your PC/notebook built-in input jack - almost definitely better. Between different audio interfaces - no. Audio interfaces are made differently. Depending on quality of pre-amps etc.

2. Depending on the audio interface. Most will come with a mixer software, some of which lets you control the audio interface hardware without entering your DAW (and using zero CPU as it taps your audio interface hardware). Some has hardware routing - input goes directly to output without entering your software/DAW/notebook; some not. In short, they are all made differently.

3. Presonus, Echo, MOTU, M-audio etc. All made differently. Look at the number of inputs/preamps you need, and of course, your budget.

Last edited:
Here's my take on your questions
1.) Yes, an audio interface always equals better sound due to less distortion and better signal to noise ratio.

2.) Software side is like what Cheez mentioned. Some also have more bells and whistles like in-built effects and acting as a mixer when not connected to your computer. From a hardware point of view, it will allow you to connect electric guitars and microphones properly by impedance matching and providing proper microphone gain.

3.) I'm assuming you meant electric guitar when you said guitar. You need to find an interface with at least a hi-z input. Since you're recording piano, you will also need to have at least 2 preamps for a stereo recording. The preamp channels should also have 48V phantom power if you are intending to use condenser microphones for your piano recording.

An affordable audio interface would be a line 6 toneport ux2. You should also check out other brands like Focusrite or Steinberg. They make good audio interfaces. I discourage Presonus products as I don't like the amount of distortion on their preamps. I would say M-audio has a reliability problem.

For audio interface, try not to use bus powered one. Find the interface come with it own power adapter.

sorry for a stupid question but is the preamp and the audio interface both tgt?

I'm currently using a korg m50 and when i record i just plug straight into the line in port to my computer and when i record guitars i just plug it into my zoom gu2.1 and also it goes straight to the computer line in.

my current problem is that when recording piano the sounds don't really come out very nice and i was considering an audio interface to improve the quality of my recordings but i don't wana anyhow spend money cuz i have a certain budget

Your zoom gu2.1 has an USB audio interface built in. You can try to experiment with that first.

You mean to record a real acoustic piano? For that, you need microphone/s + audio interface (with phantom power if using condenser).

buffalo man,
Yep. An audio interface usually comes with preamps.

Maybe you can let us know what you mean by the piano sound not coming out very nice.

i'm just recording a digital piano,what i mean by the sound not coming out very nice is that the bass notes on the piano sound really crappy.Thanks for any form of help guys,i really appreciate it alot :)

buffalo man, could you upload a sample so that we can have a listen?

3.) If you're only recording one instrument at a time, and you're on a mac. Check out the Apogee One. For that kind quality it provides, the price is actually dirt cheap. esp 2nd hand. :)

sorry for the late reply guys but in the end i bought an audio interface and its solved alr,i think its some impedance problem or smth,but i really appreciate the help,thanks alot ppl :)

Back