Any tips/techniques about using a pick on bass?

floppy

Hi, I'm a new member and a beginner bassist. I got my first just a week ago. It's just the SX starter package from Davis lol. I intend to buy a new bass when I learn to play moderately well. I'm already in a band with my friends [although I can't really play anything yet] and I want to join a jazz orchestra or something at my school later. Anyways, my bass teacher is gonna teach to play using my fingers, and I'm not sure if he's gonna teach me to use a pick. Since I'm gonna play in a band I'll probably need to know how to use a pick, so I want to practice using a pick, while learning to use fingers.

.... Any ideas? I tried looking on the internet and found some stuff about holding a pick and alternate picking so I'm practicing that, but you guys probably know better. Lol, I'm only 12 and really stupid and uhm, yeah. Lol. Sorry if that sounded like a long ramble. Any help is really appreciated! ;D

*goes back trying to play GazettE tabs~*

Haha you don't really have to use a pick just because you play in a band, just use whatever feels comfortable to you! You can get different tones with using a pick or your fingers,so experiment and find out which one you like better.I personally use both,but more of the pick because it gives me more attack hehe.Try to get used to playing slowly with the pick first before doing harder stuff like alternate picking,thats what helped me with fast picking haha. And lastly, study how Reita of the GazettE picks,because he's really good at it. Helped me alot with alternate picking haha. Cheers

Haha you don't really have to use a pick just because you play in a band, just use whatever feels comfortable to you! You can get different tones with using a pick or your fingers,so experiment and find out which one you like better.I personally use both,but more of the pick because it gives me more attack hehe.Try to get used to playing slowly with the pick first before doing harder stuff like alternate picking,thats what helped me with fast picking haha. And lastly, study how Reita of the GazettE picks,because he's really good at it. Helped me alot with alternate picking haha. Cheers

Yeah, I have messed around using both styles a lot. I think the pick's sound is more suited to a band, so I'm gonna go with that. Although I predict I'll end up having to use my fingers halfway through since I'm not as good with a pick. And I looked at a couple of Ride With The Rockers from GazettE concerts to figure out how Reita holds his pick since he can go really fast.

Btw, wouldn't it be better if I started with alternate picking, so I can get a habit of doing it early on? That's what one website said, but I'm not sure.

Anywas, thanks for the advice! ;D

Just do what feels more comfy. I cant get my timing right * according to my guitarist* so i use pick when im playing a constant beat. and change to fingers when things get fast or need some groove. :)

0.5cents.

=floppy
Haha np im not exactly good myself, never took lessons from anyone so maybe its better to get advice from the pros themselves.But something i realized is,its easier for me to sling the bass so that my picking arm is near full stretch when i alternate pick,as opposed to slinging it up so high that my arms are curved and have not much space for movement.You can try this,or try to get the bass slinged to a level where its most comfortable for you to alternate pick haha.
=hickey
LOL dude try playing along to a metronome with ur fingers?That will help alot in terms of getting tempo,timing and playing along to the drums.

@Hickey_: Thanks for your advice! ;D Oh? You can play a constant beat with a pick? That's nice. Whenever I try it I'm always tempted to go a little faster xD

@ms9ms: Haha, I've actually always slung my bass low. Probably a little too low lol. But my arms are big so it's okay. Kills my left wirst though, so I don't play like that too often.

first tip: Don't. really lol.

the tone is weak and flippy. and its a totally wrong path you shouldn't go down.

the tone is weak and flippy. and its a totally wrong path you shouldn't go down.

the tone play with a pick?

actually i've heard really great bass tones by players using picks. i think it's an issue of just practicing. work through exercises that will strengthen your right hand's rhythm and technique and you'll be okay after that.

i play both fingered style, with nails sometimes (classical style) and with a pick.

everyone got different style, tone, attack that they wanted, for recording i use a pick 100% of the time as the engineer prefer a stronger attack and do a lot of heavy picking

at jam or live i use either. depending on the band.

but for groove and feel and jazz, i will use 100% fingered and sometimes dig harder with my nail to accentuate certain phrases.

u need to experiment and collect a few picks, different thickness and material of the pick will effect the tone! eg) soft nylon vs those thick plastic type.

in all experiment, get your fundamental right and practice with a metronome

Okay actually i can play constantly with my fingers also. lol. picks give you awesome tones also. like duff mckagan. wah his tone. tsk tsk tsk. It all in the fingers.

Don't let anyone tell you that using a pick is wrong or bad.
I think what you should look for is being well rounded. If a song or a certain band or style needs fingers then use that. If it doesn't, then use a pick. It will help you become a more versatile player.
Personally I like using those Dunlop tortex picks between 0.70-1.14mm
- Mix it around when using your picks..
Some songs need a fatter sound (reggae or some melodic basslines) so play closer to then neck
Likewise, if you want to sound edgy you can play closer to the bridge
Practice alternating between up and down strokes
Some songs may be need a very steady sound which requires all downstrokes

Concentrate on picking with less energy as you can.. You don't have to throw your whole arm into it, keep it light and use your wrist

this is kind of old and rudimentary but this woman has some good thoughts on the right techinque... which can take you far:
http://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips51.htm (go to tip 93)
http://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips101.htm (go to tip 103)
http://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips1.htm (go to tip 26 + tip 9)

hope this helps

sian i hope it's not another pick v fingers discussion...

I hope everyone can really see that neither style is superior to the other. it really depends on the sound you hope to get.... -_-

Having said that, there're tonnes of lessons out there on finger/pick techniques.. just go google some. One thing that i think bass players should look out for

consistent tone... try to achieve consistent tone with your pick, so that every note sounds the same. you can accent different notes later, but the accent needs to be intentional. practice hard! and bro don't say u are stupid lah... The world tries hard enough to put you down without you putting yourself down :)

i have this prob with picks. i use a metal pick and i always end up picking with the edge of the pick instead of the flat surface. i get a very grinding sound. mostly i use my fingers to play.

but i myself play only metal and rock. and it still sounds ok with me. i have to agree it doesnt have the same kick... but i still find it ok.

i guess it depends on what sound you and ur band mates like.

Last edited:
to me, i use finger more than picks... but as everybody agrees, being rounded is important=) then again, it also depends on who are u following, whats the speed that is required from u , sound types and basically whether its boring or really challenging=)

Wahh, I thought this thread died a long time ago! ;O

Anyways, thanks a lot for your advice, guys! I guess I was a little obssed with picking before, lol. Nowadays I only use a pick when I'm playing tabs in my free time.

You're all definitely right about being well-rounded. I've been working on my fingering all this time, getting the same tone with both my index and middle finger. I guess I'll stick with that for now. I'm still a beginner so I haven't been taught to slap/pop yet.

Slapping and popping is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. I think there used to be a thread on slapping and popping.

Latest posts

Back