A section to really learn music.

As above. Where is a section for people who wants to learn music serious. I really mean it, seriously. A section dedicated for us to:

1) discuss and analyse a song
2) to ask questions about theories, chord progressions, chord voicings, modulation, rhythm, harmony, scales, et cetera.
3) to share our transcriptions and check if we transcribed it correctly or not.
4) to improvise over, regardless of instruments. As the saying goes, a C note is a C note. Instruments matter but thats dependent on how you improvise it.​

From what I have seen in HOW TO-Instrument sections, most people are more concerned to technique and playability. It is indeed an important criteria to be able to play your desired instrument but that's not all to music. Knowing theories, analysing songs and learning from them are just as important, isn't it?

On a side note, it is great to see that there are advertisement for teachers although it's kind of messy with their bumping. It will be great if their names and contacts could be sort down and posted in a thread. Same goes with the band/musicians available part.

Walk

Hi WalkBeforeRunning

Thanks for your suggestions. We can use the How-To section for now until there is more of such topics.

As for the Teachers and Musicians section, users should update their thread with latest/interesting information about themselves so as to attract potential client.

Hi WalkBeforeRunning
Thanks for your suggestions. We can use the How-To section for now until there is more of such topics.

Hi Soft

I understand that there isn't much topics about these here. But dedicating a section may bring the significance of such to everyone here, beginners or not. Subjectively, I think that it all takes a small step to begin something. It may be few to none topics about that here, but I'm pretty sure it will get more of such topics over time.

To be honest, HOW-TO section is pretty much instrument-based. But theory, rhythm, syncopation, harmony, et cetera are not! And everyone has their own take on them after all. And to be honest, a guitarist probably won't go looking into a percussionist HOW-TO section and vice versa.

Well, I do see improvising threads but they are dedicated to specific instruments. It's kind of weird since we all know that a C is a C. It's just how it sounds in different instruments and probably the pitch of it. So improvising shouldn't be so limited to a, for example, HOW-TO guitar section or Rookie section.

On a side note, I came across this thread. It seems like you do indeed had a plan for music education. Why not take this opportunity to create a dedicated section for music education?

Honestly, I believe it will do good for the music teachers with this section. Their capability of teaching will depend greatly on how they guide people with questions here. Their improvisations will also give us an insight of their skill level. (Somehow, I feel that musicians here are not generous enough and they are all in the state of money making.)

Readers with alike thoughts, please voice out! It seems like soft needs a little push before he's willing to integrate this section.

Walk

Last edited:
Back