Squier Jazz Bass *standard series*

emptyspaces

1_892623327l.jpg

List Price: $513; Swee Lee
Body: Agathis
Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo
Pickups: 2 Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickups (Mid & Bridge)
Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Pickup Switching: None
Bridge: Standard 4-Saddle
Machine Heads: Standard Open-Gear Tuners
Hardware: Chrome
Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut: 1.50” (38 mm)

Features
The Squier Standard Jazz Bass features many Fender Jazz Bass appointments, including an offset-waist body, ultra-slim fast-action neck and full-range bi-pole pickups. Nothing fanciful etc. Crafted in Indonesia. Probably a 2006 instrument.

Sound
Like what many international reviewer has said, if you swapped out the stock pickups for seymour duncan's basslines, DiMarzio or Nordstrand pickups and add in the LeoQuan BadAssII bridge this piece of axe would sound like a beast. With added clarity, sustain etc. The stock pickups though claimed by Fender to be "upgraded alnico pickups" it wasn't as good as I thought. Hence swapped it out for basslines immediately after purchasing it.

Action, Fit & Finish
The factory action was high as hell and not playable. Had to get the guy at the counter to lower the action for me before I could test it out properly. The finish is pretty good and I would say it's beautiful. The intonation is pretty good as well. No problems with it. Tuning does not run. Overall, perfect.

Reliability & Durability
Within a week that I got it, I played a live gig with it. Even with all the heavy beating I give it, it still stays in tune and works like gem. It pretty reliable and the end pins are sturdy as hell.

Impression
Overall, I loved this bass but would be looking at Fender basses once I have saved enough KA-CHING! This bass is great for it's price. You can't ask too much when you pay about 500bucks for a bass.

Ratings
Playability: 85%
Tone: 85%
Overall: 90%

What i liked about the bass
looks
tone
finishes
weight
colour [ I'm a sucker for red basses! =X ]

What i didn't fancy much
stock pickups

Last edited:
I played several Squier basses and I must say there's something really nice about these basses. Play great, sound great, very comfortable to play, etc. I might not have a high opinion on Squier but their basses are exempt. They're more than decent. :cool:

i am using the same bass...wow...its really good compare with my other previous bass..the size and the weight is amazing..i find this bass is very convenient for bassist who ride bike..like myself..woohoo...go grab them...

Hey..Hi Bro, just wanted to ask about Modifications, (like some of us) they do really like/love modifying their bass, using On Board Pre Amps, is the J retro or any O.B.P.A. fits this baby? i heard only fender usa is applicable for those type of mods. (not sure actually) thanks... Peace....Enjoy...

This is a great budget bass! what's even more amazing about it is that a more fair price to pay for this would be $350!

Hey..Hi Bro, just wanted to ask about Modifications, (like some of us) they do really like/love modifying their bass, using On Board Pre Amps, is the J retro or any O.B.P.A. fits this baby? i heard only fender usa is applicable for those type of mods. (not sure actually) thanks... Peace....Enjoy...

I believe those stuffs that you wanna add on, is gonna go into the cavity? if there's not enough space in the cavity, the guitar tech might have to dig a new cavity to fit those in? I recommend that you check with Beez or KC regarding such mods.

Cheers!

Back