Boss DS-1: A detailed take!

I think the main draw of the MIT DS-1 has to be the fact that it seems like a one size fits all package, modded it produces some great tones, at low gain it can give a nice, though slightly nasal sound and it can be used as a booster too. But rule of thumb with the MIT is, NEVER NEVER EVER crank the damn thing up ur eardrums dun deserve that kinda punishment. Not talking abt the vol either heh. Nice review man, jus wanna ask, how similar sounding are say Mike's or Beez's mods on the MIT Mitsubishi chip DS-1 to thw MIJ SS DS-1? Thx!

You gotta try it yourself to find out how similar they are.. For those mods, whether they change opamps, or simply use better components, etc, I wouldn't know.. Best is try it yourself..

Boss DS-1 (MIJ); Toshiba TA7136AP opamp

These are both silver as well as black screw.

I just bought a MIJ DS-1 with black screw and opened it up and there it is the TA7136AP :eek:

thank you Kijiji!

cheers
Steve

Re: Boss DS-1 (MIJ); Toshiba TA7136AP opamp

I know this is an old thread and I apologize in advance for bumping it.
but I really felt it missed something in the debate on MIJ versus MIT because I have been reading so much baloney about those opamps:

Any Boss SD-1 with a black label (ACA) regardless of its origin (Japan or Taiwan) Has the Toshiba TA7136AP opamp in it, period.
and any Boss SD-1 with a silver label (PSA) again regardless of its origin has another opamp it it

I own of the last Taiwan black label ACA pedals (january 94) and it definitely has the Toshiba TA7136AP opamp in it.
(see for your self in pics below)

I can't say if the silver screw (momentary led) has a lot of different other components from my pedal because I do not own one.
All I can say is that all the SD-1 pedals build from 1978 till somewhere in 1994 have this opamp.

So if this 'legendary MIJ' sound is caused by that thing, all Taiwan pedals build in the six years from 88 to 94 are just as good as any of the MIJ black screw SD-1 pedals build between 82 and 88 and maybe even comparable to the real early ones.

The move to Taiwan (1988) caused a price drop in the pedal and I can't say for sure if that was only caused by cheaper labor, or if they used cheaper components as well, but all everyone ever seems to mention is the opamp.

The change from ACA to PSA (black label to silver label) occurred somewhere in 94 in Taiwan, and the opamp change from TA7136AP to Rohm BA728N occurred at that same time so it would surprise me if these two weren't connected

I bought mine real cheap cause it is a Taiwan pedal, and if you believe in the 'made in japan mojo', go for it and spend your money on a beat up pedal that needs modding to have a non momentary led, but if its just the opamp you seek, you might just as well get a cheap 88-94 Taiwan SD-1

btw, it sounds awesome I think but again I have no other SD-1 pedals to compare it with

20151104_123508.jpg20151104_123718.jpg20151104_123748.jpg20151104_123830.jpg20151104_123920.jpg

Last edited:
This says that the 2nd revision was made in 1994. I have a MIJ DS-1 from late '84 w/ black screws. I haven't taken it apart to check what type of opamp it runs on, but where does my model fit into your timeline?

This says that the 2nd revision was made in 1994. I have a MIJ DS-1 from late '84 w/ black screws. I haven't taken it apart to check what type of opamp it runs on, but where does my model fit into your timeline?

Well in theory you can never be a 100% sure until you open it up obviously.

But this post is pretty interesting and could give you a hint on the specs:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/boss-mij-ds1.377157/

I am referring to the image titled "1984 black screw without diode"
That ET28F board (japan 1984) is identical in layout, opamp, and PCB to mine (1994 Taiwan) just check te picks.
Components are of a different brand probably.

Earlier silver screws (ET28E) do seem to differ in components and board layout (see picks in link), but the opamp is the same.

Back