Vocal EQ settings & soundman communication

What i would say to most bands is that if you don't know the pa systems well, just leave it to the soundman. Explain what type of sound you are looking for, then just let the soundman do his job. Don't try to take the lead, because your job is to perform well and not be affected by the sound too much.
And if you know pa systems well, come early to ensure the sound you require. Work alongside with the soundman, don't think you know better and act so proud. Remember, the soundman will be there when you are performing, he is there to monitor any feedback or sound issues while you are performing. If he is ill-treated, he might go for more coffee breaks or don't do anything since he finds you too particular.
Main point is, always respect the soundman, take him like another member of your band, his task is to do your sound. Feedback to him the type of sound you are after, the type of band you are. Even if you think the soundman isn't that 'top notched' guy, still work alongside. Remember, many times the soundman will not put maximize effort on your band, not because he cannot, but because he is probably already tired out with so many other bands and jobs to do. If he is in a good mood, he will tune your sound very well. So learn to please the soundman!

hey guys, i need help on EQ frequency regarding dose 125, 250, 500, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K.
wat does different freqency means as in which no. is for high range, mid range, low range etc.? any example of setting all dis? thanx a lot

^ you might want to pop the question over at the sound engineering subforum as well, the blokes there study these things. :)

i suggest: ALWAYS try to use ur actual volume during sound check. at least then the soundman is getting the real sound from the band. no point playing or singing softer than usual and then defeats purpose of sound check right :)

hey guys,

i hope you guys can explain to me the fuctions of the mic settings.

i read the posts posted by tetra, thanks mate. it gives me an clearer idea of what they can do.

but, i dont know what the frequency thingy is all about.

the one where normally people use a 'smiley face'.

also, is it better to reduce treble or reduce the 'hi -1,-2,-3' knob to avoid having the sound too high?

Thanks guys!!:)[/

Hey everyone, was surfing around and thought I would pitch in and help. Quick intro, I'm a long time vocalist and I'm working as a live sound engineer. What I read about here all too familiar. Since I'm a gig lover and do gigs a lot, I will naturally get mad when as the audience and seeing the band suffers on stage, while the sound guy for the gig don't know shit. I try to make this brief. Will provide tips, hints and some guidelines.

There's 2 categories. In Jamming studios practising, in live gigs performing. (I guess this is mainly for vocalists who gigs a lot)

Jam Studios:
The vocalist should and always start soundchecking FIRST. As you need to use the speakers there for yourself and others. If other players start blasting around their instruments, the bad EQ will be hard to detect and scrap off.

1st check the vocal processor, (where the mic wire goes to), and hope for the best that studio's one has at least some graphic EQ. (note: graphic EQ is the one with little numbers like 30 40 63 125 200 500 and up-down sliders below it) this will make it easier to 'clean' the speakers sound. (Also by here, also hope for the best they have a decent speaker.)

Check your line channel is flat. that means knobs at 12 o'clock position. (if your line is in 1, only that strip is yours, all others must die. =P) and the graphic EQ is all at the 0 line. Put all levels and mains knobs or slider to 0. This is call resetting the board.

Now put mains to 12'oclck or at 0 (if slider), speak into the mic at your SINGING VOLUME. this is important because if you just 'test test' using normal speaking volume, when u start singing, you gonna be blasting the speakers of because off too high levels.
Listen to the speakers and roughly gauge how loud it is, and can u be hearing later when the band starts. (IF in any case when the band starts, and you mic channel is max, you can bring up the mains to 3oclock. but nvr try to put mains at max. you're asking for feedback and speaker distortion)

now the EQing part. Listen to the speakers when testing onto the mic. put the mic away, and say exactly the stuffs you say and listen. back to the mic. compare. you will surely hear a difference. now this is where a little sound knowledge is needed. i will give a rough average gauge.

--- if sound muddy/muffled/boomy = reduce 80 - 250 Hz. (just enough to remove. not totally take off your vox's 'weight')
--- if sound too sharp/shrilling/piercing = reduce 1kHz - 4kHz. (also not too much as this will remove your intelligibility. means when u pronounce words not clear la!)
--- if you do your SSS and sounds too much of it = reduce 8kHz.
--- humans have a set range of hearing frequencies, so if the processor have it, you can completely take off 20Hz - 50Hz and 10kHz - 20kHz as average human vocals don't even go that low or high. taking them off will 'clear up the air' coz if your mic pick them up, speakers won't produce it. will leave space for bass and guitars.

Now all of that is to just clear up the speakers. On your own channel, adjust to your liking how you like your voice to be. for me i would increase the lows a bit for some weight, reduce mids, treble stays. (as i'm a pretty high range singer).

for effects, the only thing you need is reverb. either reverb room or hall. just a touch so as not to have such a dry vocal sound.

hope that covers the jamming room part.

Live Gigs:
Come early to the venue. Yes. pls do. for your own sake. Why? just come early. if you playing in a gig where there is 100 plus bands playing back to back in the same place, theres no chance for a soundcheck. so save yourself first.

You gotta know who the soundguy is, if you see someone just standing behind the mixer, there's a chance he is just standing there. Ask him nicely, are you the soundguy? if not, ask where the frag is he.

Then ask, where is your vocal channel. chk its EQ. 12oclock them 1st. ask HIM to do it. DON'T touch the mixer. to soundguys, its like, bad fengshui. or like walking under the ladder. that kinda shit.

ask where is the vocal monitor. some they will put at the side, some infront. ask if you can position it to better hear yourself, if cannot. position yourself near it when performing.

ask what AUX is the monitor at. (if the soundman is legit, he WILL know. if donno.. haiz.)
so if the bugger really don't know, find the knob AUX 1 onyour mic channel. turn it up to like 10oclock. talk into the mic, and see if the monitor comes out anyting, if not, try the other AUXes. if none comes out, ask if the monitor is on, and see if the MASTER AUX (1,2,3 or 4) is UP. (master AUX is usually at the right side. all closely grouped).

remember, all monitors are adjusted tru AUXes.

now since this is live, and the soundman probably have some EQ the speakers, the only thing you can ask for is a decent volume from the monitors. if during the performance you can't hear yourself, signal the soundman to increase the volume.
do it like this:
1 - wave to soundman
2 - point to your vocal mic
3 - point to the monitor
4 - point upwards in a vertical up n down motion.

explain these difficult steps to the soundguy slowly as, amazingly, THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND. i feel ashamed to be a soundguy sometimes.

well that's it.

i add on abit here..
if your players can't hear each other, (guitar player on left can't hear guitar player on right) tell the soundman to increase guitar player right on the monitors infront of guitar player left. read again. also the opposite if needed.

well that wasn't brief at all..................

good luck.

Back