Bass FAQ

Anyone got any idea where can I get a set of .040 - .100 (.040 .055, .070, .100) flatwound gauage strings? :confused:
The one I'm using is a little big for my bass. Is a 0.45-.100. :(

An active bass is a bass with onboard equalization, ie, you can tweak bass/mid/treble directly on the bass. This makes the bass more versatile tone-wise. You'd need a battery inside the bass to run it though.

I personally prefer passive basses, as I know what tone I'm looking for. I'm also just downright terrible with knobs. :)

active bass means electric (battery) power is used for the electronics.

an active bass has a preamp. a preamp basically increases the gain of the signal.

it may have active pickups. an active pickup is any pickup that has a capacitor in its design.

I used to play bass many years back when young. Now I am trying to get back what I've miss for these many years. Despite my past short experience, I am still pretty much a noob because I didn't really know much of a bass guitar itself, such as what types of pickups - J or P, what length of neck and number of frets, active or passive.

Here is my noob question : Can I actually plug in a headphone into an active bass so that I can practise at night ? I have a newborn baby and find it difficult to do so without her jamming along with me... just joking on the latter statement :)

I do have a practise amp and I used to plug my headphone to the practise amp's phono output to play in "silent night", but if active bass can do without powering up an amp, I might just get a bass with active circuit for convenience sake instead ?

It'd sound pretty bad really, tried that long ago. I'd suggest picking up a bass VOX. It's a simple small device which plugs straight into your bass output jack. And it has a headphone jack, as well as an input jack for the convenience of jamming along with an mp3 player, phone, laptop etc..

Thank you for the VOX suggestion ! I think you open up another alternative to my long waited desire... I stopped play for so many years and now I see so many interesting stuffs never seen during those times.. uncle old already... hahaha

P.S. I was still trying to figure out HOW TO play along with my favourite songs on my CD or MP3 earlier... :X

Or just have ur bass amp in the same room with ur computer. Play an mp3 on the computer and just jam along. Don't need deafening volume to do that.

thanks for these great gadget... and someone please teach me how to do laundry with the bass guitar ! Do I hang the clothes over the neck or use the frets as washboards ? :D

Back