Proving/Disproving the Gibson Myths - Neck Tennons & Hol

actually. i don't see a problem with weight relief holes. the neck joint pics, maybe. the weight relief holes are actually more expensive to do.

(why drill 8/15 holes and waste time and effort? in fact, for factory made, at most 1 or 2 holes for holding up the wood is enough right?)

my opinion is that it was a conscious decision by gibson, if this were true.

and lastly, i'm not very sure how the holes would (negatively) affect the tone. so much has been said about less wood = less tone (or the equivalent). no one has really proven this.

i do fail to see how this can -absolutely- be true when a lot of guitarists have praised their mexican strats to sometimes be better than their american equivalents. and considering the some of the mexican ones are H-H-H routed, not S-S-S routed.

hmm actually i was bothered by the pics i saw never knew my Gibson had holes in them. thn after a while i thought abt it, i like the tone of it cept for some setup issues im damn happy with it so i guess thats all that matters. heh

You're right about the hole issue and tone. Some of the 'swiiming pool' routed strats sound supoerior to the normallly routed ones. The weight relief hole issue for me was whether this was done on all the Les Pauls and that it is nice to know that this is the case or not and not an urban legend. Once it's understood then you can make your own decisionon on whether to buy the brand.

If the neck joints are so lousy on the gibson and they still sound so good, it makes me wonder what it must be like when they get the neck right! maybe there is something in the 58 Les Paul's mystyc.

cheers,

Mark.

Have the jap brand got the neck joint right then? Branded like Heritage, Tokai and so on... If they have, you could go try some of them out. The les pauls of course. :)

yea never had a chance to play a real 59, 60 LP guess i never will but if the tone and feel does it for you and the price is something your willing to pay nothing else matters let your ears decide.

Cheers to you Mark.

Heh... I will never play a gibson les paul... first, its because my back can't take the weight. And despite the thick and creamy tones and what not.. its not exactly versatile... And finally, the build quality is appalling to me.. never understood why the frets were so.... bad... on a 2k - 5k guitar.

IMO of course. :)

my 2 cents worth...

i wouldn't mind putting my LP through an X-Ray... if I really gave half an arse about the weight reduction holes or the dodgy neck tenon. which i don't, really. (sorry mud!)

frankly? I don't really care if there are weight relief holes, or dodgy neck tenons (ok maybe the dodgy tenon), or poorly dresssed frets - fact is i bought my LP loving the way it sounds and the way it plays, lousy frets and all. and that's my bottomline. its not the best guitar in the world, but it is a far sight from being the worst, or even the most overpriced. i've been through thick and thin with mmy LP, i've had it fall off a guitar stand and seen the headstock snap, then had it revived (props to clement fromm luther), sounding and playing even better than ever.

sure there are better guitars. but nothing can replace my trusty LP (not even that sexay avenger TL... sorry malcolm. still thinking about it!)

Thanks for the reply Milk.

That's pretty much how I feel about my LP special. She's an old guitar, feels right, plays right and is right for me.

This is a wonderful wasy to look at a guitar and I hope that more people on the forum do so in the future. They are imperfect beasts, but we love them because of that. Strat players hate LP's and vise versa, but it all comes down to what is right for you.

cheers,

Mark.

mudmechanic said:
Thanks for the reply Milk.

That's pretty much how I feel about my LP special. She's an old guitar, feels right, plays right and is right for me.

This is a wonderful wasy to look at a guitar and I hope that more people on the forum do so in the future. They are imperfect beasts, but we love them because of that. Strat players hate LP's and vise versa, but it all comes down to what is right for you.

cheers,

Mark.

Mark, you couldn't have been more succint. I think I was overly verbose with my posts in the other thread. I'm all for innovation, but let's not suffer from the Ed Roman syndrome. Till the next beer!

KC

Don't worry about it.

We are not rocket scientists and aren't supposed to be. The guitar is a mechanical tool to help us express ourelves and have some fun in the process. If she plays easier or sounds better, it helps us be more expressive and that's the aim after all.

Glad to hear you can roll with the puches and the next beer's on me (owe Dennis one anyway). Will be down on Sat so drop in and say hi if you're free. Just don't ask to jam - I suck.

cheers,

Mark

I have an '89 Les Paul Standard and it's the best feeling neck ever! Slash toured with three '87s during his Guns n' Roses peak, cos he liked the neck. Get one if you can find one!

PS I'm a Fender Strat/Tele guy :)

Back