Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

subversion

416354.jpg

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
List: $695

The ‘70s was the decade well-remembered for all things funk. This was also the time of prog manifestation. In the bass domain, Fender’s Jazz bass was responsible for driving this movement; Geddy Lee brandishing a Jazz bass- how can we forget? Squier’s Vintage Modified (VM) Jazz bass is a member of a revival family which picks on a featured specification of a certain instrument era to vibe things up.

Build/ fit/ finish
This Indonesian beauty has an unmistakable blond finish namely due to its maple entirety; yes, you read that right- both the body & neck are maple in make. This accounts for the massive feel which is typical of instruments of the ‘70s; heavy often for the wrong reasons. The overall construction here is deserving of its asking price; a unit in the upper reaches of the Squier line up which is more refined in make, fit & finish. Praise goes to the outstanding black neck binding & block fretboard markers, the latter really are painted indicators. The hardware on the other hand, are nameless appointments but they remain reputable & functional. The highlight is however the pair of Duncan Designed pickups which possess all the right reasons you’d pay for.

Rating: 90%

Playability/ tone
This bass is a behemoth (blame the maple content), once lapped, you can feel how the body edges virtually etches into your leg. Adding to the discomfort would be the constant neck dive which was fortunately cured when the bass was strapped on. Even before one plugs this bass in, the bright resonance promises something inviting in the tone department but the default action could be better especially when there were no signs of fret buzzing across the neck register; a lower setting wouldn’t hurt.

Amplified, the tone per se is a simple lure. Like ants to sugar, you’d hear both the pickups serving their worth & are very addictive indeed. The neck unit possesses all the rounded upper end for your booming pleasure. Be sure to set your amp EQ to taste to prevent a muddy affair. The bridge single coil is a direct opposite; all the poke you need for great lead tones. The blended tone screams funk & becomes especially rewarding if snap & pop are your playing staple; now you understand why Marcus Miller is a firm Jazz Bass proponent. It gets more interesting when one varies the blend & that’s what got this reviewer hooked.

Like how a typical jazz bass should be, the narrower-than-P Bass neck profile was wisely retained by the manufacturer. The departure here would be the medium jumbo frets unlike the slim units of the basses of the past, which make this bass easier to handle. Tuning stability was also spot on; all play & less hassle.

Tone test equipment:
• Amps: Ibanez Soundwave 35/ Fender Bassman 100

Rating: 90%

Final say
Are you still looking for a worthy non-Fender Jazz bass to get you by? The VM Jazz bass will be your answer. In addition to living it up in the specifications department, the end product here is a superb player per se.The list price would be objectionable to many of us as we consider it costly in relation to the ‘Squier’ tag but we often kill a product by virtue of its pariah brand name even before we know what it’s all about (& the discounts available). Let me tell you what it’s about then- it’s a wonderful playing experience without costing you an arm or a leg.

Final rating: 90%

Product availability: Swee Lee Co

• Price
• The ‘70s vibe without the ‘70s setbacks

Dislikes:
• Deafult action
• Neck dive in sitting position

Worthy competitor:
• Swing G1 Ash

**Thanks Adam for the review invitation!

I own this bass as well, bought six months ago from Swee Lee Sims Drive. I wish to comment that neck dive still occurs when the bass is strapped up. Although it's lesser in extent, you'll never be able to position the bass such that it's highly tilted like how Flea plays his bass. Instead, the angle this bass takes naturally is pretty mild, like how Geddy Lee holds his.

i strapped it high up for a slap/ pop application & it stays put. but at that position, back strain sets in rather quickly... wonder how Mark King endures this :cool:

Ah maybe that's why lah. I tried to use my strap's friction to keep it at a steep angle instead (because i prefer to hang my bass around my hips) and got shoulder aches.

And you said it! It's King after all.

hey subz... can explain wads the diff btwn a P n a J bass?

My fren said J bass can be describe as a HONK... a horn Honk
n a P bass as solid...

loL... helps? thx ^^

these simply refer to the specific models, more often than not, P denoting 'Precision' & J denoting 'Jazz'. the primary differences are:

*Body outline
*pickup specs
*neck profile

you friend has a simplistic view on these i suppose, any bass can honk for that matter -just turn down the tone knob :cool:

I tried the one at Swee Lee Bras Besah and it had fret buzz (do you call it that when the wrong pitch comes out o_O) at the 14th fret on the G-string. Get that sorted out if you're gonna get that one.

Ooh I think the proper term is dead note.

Last edited:
imho i won't be too worried about neck dive. coz i think it can be compensated by the way you strap and hold, of course at the expense of your shoulders. :) so get a large comfortable strap with lots of grip. i've got a bass with a pretty bad neck dive. but it's pretty light. so no problem though.

a leather strap solves the neck dive problem for alot of people

and if the folks at Groove Tubes are to be believed, a heavier headstock contributes to longer sustains

370868.jpg

I bought the Fat Finger straight from Groove Tubes in US. Cost about S$120 plus shipping. Can't say for sure that it will add a lot of sustain, but it felt that it did even out the tones. That's what i felt anyways.

i strapped it high up for a slap/ pop application & it stays put. but at that position, back strain sets in rather quickly... wonder how Mark King endures this :cool:

this is why he changed to using Status graphite basses, much lighter haha. :D

Back