Alternatives to Gibson Tony Iommi Pickups?

Hi everyone

I bought a pair of Gibson Tony Iommi Humbuckers second hand back in Oct 2016 at $230 and recently dropped them in a Gibson SG.

They measured 8.1k ohms and 8.4k ohms respectively, which is just half the stated value of these pickups (16.5k). True enough, when I fired up my lead solo patch on the fractal ax8, its nearly a clean tone. Output was miserably small. Now I am so bummed and disappointed because I waited since February to get my Gibson SG due to CITES, only for these pickups to fail on me. I got the SG for these pickups and not the other way round.

What other alternative pickups do you guys recommend? Getting a brand new set is way out of my budget and I believe that they are discontinued. Might be looking for something from Bareknuckle, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio etc. I am looking for something as close to the Tony Iommi Humbuckers as possible.

Thanks!

Hey there Benjamin,
I'm curious to know which wires were used to measure the winding resistance of the pickup?
Red and black?

Hi,

My guitar tech measured it so im not sure how he measured it, but anyway he managed to regauss the pickups back to its original strength.

Going to test the pickups out soon. Hopefully it will work as intended this time!

Back