Big Baby Taylor vs Yamaha FG800 vs Yamaha FGX800 vs Yamaha FG830

ziggyzag

I am a beginner and looking to buy a decent guitar. Budget is about $500 and the above 4 models are within my range.

I would prefer warm-ish but clean tones, and also easy to play, more strumming than finger-picking. Other options from Sigma or Takamine around that price range can also be considered but I am leaning towards the 4 models mentioned.

Any recommendations, opinions and tips will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, you could consider Custom Acoustic from City Music as well. Imo it's a very affordable brand that gives Martin-like sound. You can get a full solid guitar with electronics just above your price range! Do try both rosewood and mahogany to see which suits your taste more. http://www.citymusic.com.sg/webshaper/store/manufacturer.asp?page=3&mfc=4

Here are some models I recommend:
MR68/DR68: $565, spruce/rosewood, B-Band A5T
FG52E: $526, spruce/mahogany, B-Band A3T

I bought a FG92CEQ during the year-end sale in 2016 for $560... If you can hold off your purchase until December this year you can save some $$

Thanks Victor. Prices seem very reasonable. I don't need electronics and still prefer the more established brands. I am in no big hurry and I'll go try them when I have time. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry, I realised I didn't really reply your original question comparing the 4 guitars 😅 although I haven't tried any of them personally, here's what I can offer from my experience/trawling guitar forums:

I generally avoided Yamaha previously as I thought it was overpriced for the features offered. For the models you are considering, all have solid spruce tops and urea nut/saddles (decent, but you could get full solid which sounds better with time and bone saddles which sustain more). Compared to the FG800,
FGX800: has a cutaway, allowing you access to high frets and gives a brighter sound. Go for this if you're planning on soloing. Otherwise don't choose this — the electronics would be wasted too.
FG830: has back and sides of laminated rosewood compared to laminated nato. Most would consider this an upgrade, I'd say go with the one that sounds best to you. Nato may have the warm sound you're looking for.

Compared to the Yamahas, the Big Baby has a shorter scale length ( = good for small hands/portability, not so good for volume), Nubone nut/saddle (probably better than urea), and laminated sapele back and sides (somewhat similar to nato).

My first choice, based on sound, playability and price, Big Baby Taylor was completely sold out everywhere. Got the Yamaha LL6 with rosewood back and sides instead, surprising myself as it exceeded my budget.

Tried a few the last few days - Sigma DR28H, Yamaha FG800, LL6M and LL6, all slightly different and all very good.

To me, the LL6 sounded the fullest and sweetest, and loud. Although not essential for me, a pick-up would be nice. The LL6's passive pick up is actually preferred personally as it will sound as it is when amped. Comes with a fully padded gig bag, which helps.

Having not played a guitar for over 15 years, now considering whether I should change to lighter strings to make picking it up again less painful.

Back