DIY Soundport

Victor Gwee

So after seeing guitarbear's modification I was pretty inspired to try it out myself! :D

The subject: a Veelah Togo S. This was a sweet, resonant guitar but I wished it had more volume and bass response. Laminated sides = crack-resistant = perfect candidate for a new soundport.

The process: As I don't have a hole saw, I first thought of drilling 6.5mm holes in the shape of a hexagon. After taping over the area, I marked out the spots and drilled the 1mm pilot holes. But after widening the holes with a 6.5mm bit, I realised it wasn't as symmetrical as I wanted it to be :eek: (always the perfectionist).

So having marked out a final shape on the tape, I used a knife to carve out the wood between the holes and used a large file to even out the sides. 160 grit sandpaper was used to smoothen the cut surfaces.

The result:
IMG_20170103_205352.jpg

The soundport helps me hear the guitar better, and it's cool to see the inside of the guitar! Plus this allowed me to mount a cheap stick-on pickup permanently under the bridge plate and route the cable out through the soundport.

Let me know what you guys think! And if you intend in doing a similar mod as well :)

Back