How do guitarists play like so pro ?

newbie76

I have seen guitarists in bands jamming and although they may not be playing like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai, but they are playing like a pro. I am referring to local bands who jam in studios for casual jamming. How did they learn the electic guitar ? I have watched videos and learn but why is it that i feel i am not moving ahead ? Whereas i see someone who just play his guitar like some pro. Do you need a really good teacher to teach you ?:eek: Why am i not improving and moving ahead ?

They have practiced daily for a number of years.

A few years on, I can do things I never thought I'd be able to... and they seem effortless now.

Teachers help only in showing you the way... either way you have to put the miles in your guitar.

Also, at least for me improvement comes in quick spurts after long periods plateau-ing. I needed to be patient.. hit the wall every day. It can be frustrating. But the pay off when it comes is huge :)

How long have you been playing?

They have practiced daily for a number of years.

A few years on, I can do things I never thought I'd be able to... and they seem effortless now.

Teachers help only in showing you the way... either way you have to put the miles in your guitar.

Also, at least for me improvement comes in quick spurts after long periods plateau-ing. I needed to be patient.. hit the wall every day. It can be frustrating. But the pay off when it comes is huge :)

How long have you been playing?

My practice session tend to get dull as I find myself keep repeating the exercises and getting nowhere. I am the on and off type of player so not a beginner but also not even intermediate.

My practice session tend to get dull as I find myself keep repeating the exercises and getting nowhere. I am the on and off type of player so not a beginner but also not even intermediate.

Then change your practice session :D

Guitar isn't about "getting there". Nobody ever "gets there". It's a life long trip and the fun is in the journey.

Guitar is about enjoying yourself, at your level, every day. There's a point to repeating exercises, but that's not the main thing. Making that so is the fastest way for the guitar to stay in the closet.

Play something that you like, at your level. A teacher can help with that. If your teacher puts you on repeating exercises... change teachers.

Emigre, very well said man.

Newbie76, just have fun with it. Add the practice runs and hopefully it comes out well. Don't worry about others and their playing level. Once you make the connection to your own playing style, things will happen.

Here's something interesting, we practice and practice the same song till it turns into muscle memory at times(sometimes kills the joy of playing).
Newbie76, hang in there man. We've all gone through similar phases.

Back