Guitar shops in shanghai

Hi,

There are various of shops in shanghai (West Side) in Chinese we called Puxi.
You can take a MRT Metro 2 (the green line) to Nanjing East Rd (Exit 3) Then you catch a Cab to Jing Ling Dong Road which cost you about RMB$11.00. The trip take you about 10mins.

The Whole street selling instruments such as Guitar, Drums & etc....
They sell plenty of fake Branded Guitar there. So you take note. For the gadget, you can choose to test it out but you will feel heartcell by them.

They normally open from 10am to 6pm.

I use to go there when i visit my dad but i only buy picks or guitar strap. Not the things are expensive but i dont choose to believe their quality there.

Good Luck...

actually, they r quite expensive. but the quality is lousy. they tried to sell guitars with rusted screws n strings. worst of all, some of them r in the con man business. we all kno tt china is well known for fakes. the fakes r so real. not mentioning that some of them are rly rude. if u want test but in the end u dun want to buy, they let u see their papaya faces. i got kicked out n shouted at by one of the shops on tt street.

Last edited:
haha, that was sweet of you to be kicked out...maybe you just asked too much and never buy anything. It's the same all over the world la, not only china la.
I was in Tokyo, and i nicely asked to test a bass, the japanese refuse to serve me after knowing that i can't speak japanese. And he served a japanese after me..So i took out my gold card and shout at the fxxking japanese that i want to try all the fenders basses (around 20pieces)...and in the end, i bought 2 amercian fenders as japan made aren't good enough... So with $, i made the japanese bend down their head at a singaporean after i paid. And in conclusion, it's not the country, it's the person's character.

Anyway, back to China.
In shanghai, you can shop on JinLing lu, near ZheJiangZhong Lu.
There are lots of fake gibsons and fenders. (I heard some also selling in singapore, we singaporeans are cheap ass too..haha..)and the real ones are too costly. (high tax for imported goods, so HK is a better place as it's free tax).
Only buy china brands, i can say they are cheap and good but not "fine")
Try out the brand 'Blast" from the shop "My best friend" on jinling lu. I like Blast.
If you happen to by pass this once a year music expo in shanghai.
You can find all the dealers and buy a guitar that costs S$400 in SG for only S$50.
By the way, this is how all the guitar shops in singapore's pennisula,bras basah...profit these trading $$$.

Good luck to your shopping in shanghai.

Shanghai guitar shops

I lived in Shanghai for two years. What the other guys say is somewhat correct. If you know your guitars and are aware that the shops in these streets are selling many fakes. it's up to you to decide the kind of deal you are looking for. the fakes are getting better, BUT there are a few local brands and particularly individual guitars which are reasonable quality and good value for the money. There is one shop about half way up the "guitar street" selling mostly acoustics, and in particular this shop sells some nice quality big body acoustics at good prices. In electrics there are hundreds of "strats" and Gibson copies etc, but a few shops with local brands which are not too bad for the money asked. You have to try. some shops will let you try--others won't- so you walk away. Revoltagedesign is right in his experience with waving the money at the rude shop people--In Shanghai watch them suddenly become friendly when you show some cash. But better when they are rude-- as you go out of the shop--show the cash and they try to bring you back in--too late!!

nice

I was hoping to be able to get some decent chinese-brand guitars, and thankful that google led me to SOFT hehehe i haven't been here in a while.

Anyway i think it'd be foolish to just look at it as a 'fake gibson' - thats why must be picky when choosing and trying, so even it if has no 'gibson' logo it would still be a good buy.

Gonna be checking these shops out when I go there next month! Thanks for the tips! :D

Back