can you tune the mic in a studio ?

stlee2015

can a mic in a studio be tuned to a less hollow sound, other than adjust volume ?

If yes, which equipment in a studio can adjust a mic to give a more full sound , or it is just the mic quality ?
Thanks for advice.:confused:

Hi,

I'm afraid there is some confusion here. The initial question was "can you tune a mic" and the answer was "apply EQ". Applying EQ, regardless of its software or hardware nature, is part of the mixing phase and it really is meant to enhance (or fix, in the worst cases) the initial performance. The signal that was caught by the mic in the first place can be processed afterwards, or even in real-time during recording/broadcasting if needed (which is generally not recommended for recording as it cannot be undone), but the mic itself cannot "tune" or "be tuned", it is meant to catch the sounds in the most faithful fashion.

Now, a mic can be "voiced" and that requires some expertise in electronics and replacing of specific parts, but this only change the sound in a very subtle way and I'm guessing this is not what you were referring to. A microphone is basically converting sound waves into electrical energy, and it is usually designed in a way that it allows faithful reproduction of the sound source. Therefore if the sound source is a singer who sings out of tune, it will hear and converts this into a very faithful, out of tune recording/broadcasting. If the sound source is a crappy guitar amp, the unprocessed signal will be just as crappy.

During the mixing phase it is possible (and very common in professional studios actually) to apply tuning to the voice, using dedicated software. You've probably heard of Autotune but there are a number of similar solutions. There are a wide variety of treatments and processes that can be applied, the most commonly used for vocals being compression, equalization and reverb.

If you could clarify and elaborate on your initial question by explaining what is the goal you're aiming at, we will probably be able to answer more specifically.

using the mic during a live jam session. Voice source definitely not out of tune. It is the sound coming out of the mic I am interested to address. Is it the mic or there is some effect equipment in the jam studio that can , say deepen the sound coming out of a mic in a live jam studio ? An analogy, if I am not able to explain clear enough : At home when I sing, I use a yamaha mixer via usb to the pc. I can change the sound using the various hardware special effects (not software). Is there an equivalent in a jam studio equipment? Another illustration : an announcer mic is different from a singing mic , right? Why, is it the mic or something making it different? Hope u all can understand me :)

If the studio's mixer have EQs, you can try to adjust that. In a way, like how musicians choose their favorite instrument, singers will have to find a microphone that is suitable for them too.

There's also this thing called the Proximity Effect - the closer your mouth is to the microphone, the more boomy is the sound.

Which microphone are you using currently?

Is it the mic or there is some effect equipment in the jam studio that can , say deepen the sound coming out of a mic in a live jam studio ?

Well that really depends on the jam studio... Usually most mixers have at least some EQ, and often other basic effects. You could also use a dedicated voice pedal to add desired processing, depending on what you want to achieve. Keep in mind that if you're singing with a full band in a small jam studio (that often focus on sound treatment quantity over quality), what you hear is strongly depending on the room acoustics and what the other musicians play. Just adjusting the sound of the bass and guitars, for instance, would also make a great difference to how you perceive the sound of your singing without even changing your own settings. The same goes for your position in the room and the speakers/amp position.

An analogy, if I am not able to explain clear enough : At home when I sing, I use a yamaha mixer via usb to the pc. I can change the sound using the various hardware special effects (not software)

What are those "special effects"?

an announcer mic is different from a singing mic , right?

Not necessarily, but the signal is indeed processed very differently.

Microphones makers provide charts that show how the mic "hears" the sound within its frequency range. This is very useful when purchasing a mic, if you know your voice's idiosyncrasies. If you have a thin, high-pitched voice for instance, you might want to pick a mic that does not roll off too much of the low-end.

What are those "special effects"?

Something like 20 + of them, some are of course difference in range of intensity. E.g.s : reverb, echo, flanger, radio, pitch, tremolo, phaser, delay, drum, etc :)
Which microphone are you using currently? studio one, not sure, but sounds terrible (perhaps I am not familiar with tuning it, i.e. the thread:) ). House, using a dynamic sennheisser (spelling ). if you're singing with a full band in a small jam studio (that often focus on sound treatment quantity over quality), what you hear is strongly depending on the room acoustics and what the other musicians play. Just adjusting the sound of the bass and guitars, for instance, would also make a great differe... you may be right in this, so next time I will adjust the mic volume higher so it can go over the other instruments loudness :)

Ok, well it is unlikely that you can find so many special effects in a regular jam studio. But if you want your voice to stand out in the mix, I would recommend using only compression and EQ. All other effects like reverb, flanger etc. will only make it harder for you voice to stick out.

Studio One is the name of a DAW (by Presonus), but I don't know of such a microphone. It is certainly not among the major brands anyway, unlike the Sennheiser you use at home.

Studio One = I mean the mic which the studio provided :) not the name of the mic.

- - - Updated - - -

I would recommend using only compression and EQ These should be enough as I also have these in my yamaha mixer . and the sound is more solid. but not sure if it is available on that equipment the mic was plugged in . Need to recce this in next jam :)

You can bring you Sennheiser to test in the studio. If it sounds better, use it!

You can bring you Sennheiser to test in the studio. If it sounds better, use it!

good idea. will know then which needs adjustment, altho I will still be looking if can do some tweaking in the equipment. My feeling is , just too hollow sound , that's all. thnks . cheers

Back