Bass Upgrading Questions Questions and More Questions!

inurface

Hi guys, my name is inurface and recently, I've been learning how to play bass. I'm very amateurish now and I have a few questions.
Currently I play on a full scale bass and damn, is it hard to play on, my hands are tiny and I find it hard to stretch em, browsing forums has told me to just suck it up but I think playing a short scale would be better. Currently I have a cheap made in china bass and I'm thinking of upgrading it soon, to probably an Epiphone or Chibson. Eying the EB-0 SG bass haha.
Also, I want to get into guitar tech and basic repairs, watching videos on YouTube about all the basics, like changing pickups, pots, action blah blah all that and I've seen that the Chinese knockoff Gibson guitars are generally well recommended to learn on, was wondering if I can learn all that stuff on a bass instead of a guitar.
So basically, my questions are:

1. Short Scale vs Long Scale for my tiny hands?
2. Epiphone vs Chibson for learning basic upgrades
3. Can you learn basic upgrades on a bass instead of a guitar?
4. What Bass would you recommend for a noob to upgrade?

Thanks for reading guys haha, hope to get a response by one of the master bassists out there who have betrayed the way of the electric guitar

If you just started learning, I would recommend a normal scale bass 34"-35" as it is more common and has better sustain and tone. After that if you want to explore short scale basses you can easily transit. You will have difficulties playing a normal bass in the future if you start off with a short scale.

As for great beginner basses to upgrade, Squiers are generally recognised as the better for value. However, each bass is different and you might get a lemon even with fenders. So do go with someone more experienced to test out the bass before buying

Back