Need advice on dehumidifiers

Jean-Marc Boulier

Hi all,

I arrived in Singapore recently and I have a music room with home studio gear and various instruments, including 2 acoustic guitars. I am thinking of buying a dehumidifier for this small room (about 8 m²) and leave it on almost permanently (will be switched off when recording).

My questions are:

- Is this solution suitable for my needs?

- I have seen this particular device, do you think it will do the job? Is it possible to get a quieter one without spending a lot more?

Hi all,

I arrived in Singapore recently and I have a music room with home studio gear and various instruments, including 2 acoustic guitars. I am thinking of buying a dehumidifier for this small room (about 8 m²) and leave it on almost permanently (will be switched off when recording).

My questions are:

- Is this solution suitable for my needs?

- I have seen this particular device, do you think it will do the job? Is it possible to get a quieter one without spending a lot more?

Hi Jean, Welcome to Singapore.
You are right about our climate here in SGP . Its not very friendly to acoustic guitars.
You may like to dry the brand Olee, which I have been using for my guitar room.
http://www.olee.com.sg/product-details/premier-dehumidifier-with-humidity-control-model-ol-883/
It keeps the room RH at approximately 50% and prevents moulds from growing as well.
Just need to empty the container weekly depending on how well sealed is the room.
Hope that helps .

Thanks, sounds interesting. They don't specify how loud (or how quiet) it is. Is it louder than a computer fan ?

The Olee is fairly quiet. Yes , like a computer fan.
But.... its has an auto detector and switches on and off depending on the humidity level. This produces a tapping sound. Recommended to be switched off during recording.

You can also consider using dehumifying packets like Humidisorb and Humidipak from D'addario. Place the packets in the case/gigbag of the guitar. Don't use silica gel as it dries the guitar out too much! Hope this helps :)

I guess so... Using a small amount certainly takes the humidity in the right direction, but it'll get saturated quickly

Back