A Career In Music - What does it take?

shawn.walrus

Hi all!

My name is Shawn, and I've been wondering about the above question.

I understand there are many aspects of music from which one can build a career, and I'm not referring to any one specifically. However, I do want to narrow my question down to aspects that involve actual playing of an instrument. This includes, but isn't limited to, teaching, gig circuits, sessioning, or becoming an artist.

Just to share a little of my background... My main instrument is the bass, which I've been playing since 2003 (I'm 28), and am quite confident in playing almost all genres, aside from some advanced Jazz styles. I have stage experience playing at gigs (indie, metal), bars (pop), and volunteering as a musician at various modern churches (indie, gospel, rock, pop). I can also play other instruments and sing where needed, though my first love and focus will always be the bass :)

Until recently, I had been taking the more 'conventional' career path, being an employee of an organisation.
At the same time, perhaps a 'less conventional' path of being an entrepreneur; starting a social enterprise called colouroursouls, playing the role of an illustrator / designer.

Recently, I've been exploring the possibility of a career playing / teaching music as a freelancer. Once this route shows sufficient promise, I will cease being an employee :D
I'm confident that with some time and hard work, one can make a comfortable living doing the above (yes, even in Singapore!).

My questions to you guys (who are probably more experienced than I, or who have even already achieved this) are:

1) What ought to be my next steps?
2) Are there specific types of people, places, or companies I should get connected with that could be helpful?
3) How can I establish myself in order to increase my credibility or improve my reputation as a musician?
4) Anything valuable advice at all would be awesome!

If you can answer any of the above, I would be most grateful!
I'm approaching this on a rather clean slate, with no expectations, but lots of optimism (or faith).

Thank you all! At least for reading :)

God bless,
Shawn Walrus

4 An advice.

For every moves, there's a return, we need to sacrifice one thing to another. for you now, they say it should be started at the age of youth, if there's an extreme skills you acquired, then go for it. we can still enjoy music after work. if you still want to pursue, stay with gigs so you can meet people, and wait for your shining day. to be a musician, no other than keyboard player as the standard credible for the job. so let us know how to play all instruments. should familiar ourselves also about rock, pop, blues and jazz beat is enough. and if you can make it a super, extremist, genius player you can be. go for it.

Hi Shawn,

I'm 24, in my final year of university, and am having the EXACT questions you have just posted. And I play the bass too :D

Thanks for posting your questions, looking forward to answers from our more experienced brothers and sisters in the local scene.

1) What ought to be my next steps?
2) Are there specific types of people, places, or companies I should get connected with that could be helpful?
3) How can I establish myself in order to increase my credibility or improve my reputation as a musician?
4) Anything valuable advice at all would be awesome!

You can start with teaching in a music school. This will get you familiar with the syllabus and teaching methods. Do you have the necessary music certifications? Most schools require them.

At the same time, put together a band or join a band to get yourself familiar with popular music.

Go to venues where there are live bands playing music that you like. Get to know the band members, venue owner, sound engineer ...

You can record videos of you playing the bass and post them on Youtube. Try to be as interesting as you can. Sometimes, people like you not just because of the playing but more importantly, your personality.

Start doing it. And keep doing it.

Back