Does anyone else have this issue with audio interfaces + living in HDB flat?

roguedigit

Hey all, I've got a scarlett 2i2 and while it's working fine in terms of hardware/latency, from time to time it sort of 'resets' when light switches in my home are switched on or of - not all the time, but enough that it's a minor annoyance, especially when my DAW is open and it basically causes it to crash. I checked with the owner at Sinemax and apparently it's a common problem with HDB flats and the way the electronic wiring is distributed around the house. I'm considering getting some sort of power attenuator boxes that you see people use in hi-fi setups, but apparently those are pretty expensive - not sure if a powered USB hub might help but I'm planning to try it soon. Has anyone else here encountered this and did you solve it?

1) confirm that it's caused by the light switches thingy. Try to replicate that problem then try to see if you were to run it off a laptop (battery power) and see if that crash happens. Also try install in a different computer see if the same happens. Just to isolate and confirm this problem. Also try change USB ports

2) try get a power condition like Samson power strip or a furman. I've never gotten this issue before maybe cos I've always been running from power conditioner during my location recording days.

3) remember to update latest drivers make sure it's not a software issue.

4) usually (from experience) shit happens with old fluorescent lighting. Ceiling light , lamp etc. But at most I get is buzz or click glitches in the recording (which I remove in post production) if I were recording it outside back then.

Best of luck

i have a 2i2 as well and face the problem.
It happens when i turn on/off certain appliances like speakers or other electronics running on the same socket.

I suspect its got to do with how its powered by laptop usb only.

I used to have an scarlett 18i8 (which uses a power adaptor) and also a saffire pro 40 i dont recall having the same problem.

Back