Buying guitar heads from US, Worth It?

Nerdxvana

Hey everyone,

This has been on my mind for quite a while. Was wondering if anyone has any experience on purchasing US guitar heads example Peavey 6505+ and how you would use it in Singapore since the voltage in the heads are different?

Most people tell me to get a transformer. But I'm wondering if there is any way to convert it to a universal voltage model?

There's no universal voltage. US/Japan uses 110-120v and Singapore/UK uses 230-240v. It varies between different countries.

Unless you want to make the equipment switchable to run from 110v-230v, which can be done by replacing the transformer section of the amp I believe. And it's not an easy task, probably best reserved for a competent amp tech.

Otherwise, you can purchase a standalone step down transformer (steps down 240v to 110v) so your US-equipment won't be damaged.

Last edited:
Some of the higher end amp builders use transformers with multi-taps, which means the amp can be more easily rewired for different voltages without costly part replacements. I've bought an amp like that before, and got it sent back to the builder for this modification. There would naturally be added costs shipping back and forth, builder's time (not to talk about the lost sale opportunity) etc. I did so because there's no local dealer or local voltage version easily available. Might be different for a larger brand like Peavey, so you gotta do the math...

alternatively, you can consider buying from Andertons UK. Voltage same as Sg. NP.

I fully agree with Godsmen.
Using stepdown transformer is one way, however, you must always remember to use that.
I have a 110V amp head and I need to stick a bright red sticker with "110V" indicated , just in case I forget as I am used to swopping heads all the time.

Also just check the specs of the amps and the step-down transformer just to be sure. Maybe this is the exception than the norm, but Allen Amps for example specifically says their amps will not work with step-down transformers due to a frequency difference.

Back