Which guitar should I choose

andrewtanjy

Hey guys,

I did post this on the Guitar Rookie Corner but felt perhaps this is a better place to ask.

I am considering these 3 at the moment and am not sure which one to go for. I am more of a blues player but do play other types of music as well so have narrowed down my choices to the 3 below.

1) American deluxe strat
2) Yamaha Pacifica
3) Reverend Six Gun

I don't know where I am going to find the Reverend Six Gun from other than the US, but heard from a friend that someone is selling the Six Gun. Anyone got any idea or feel on how it sounds and feels?

Which will be your recommendation?
Thanks in advance guys!

All three are good to great guitars. But I am not sure why you are comparing them, the Deluxe Stratocaster is >$2000 brand new while the other two are <$1000.

The most important things are looks, sound and feel. If you want something that looks novel, get the Reverend. The Strat and Pacifica shape are more traditional and is ergonomic to play. If you don't think you'll like the shape of the Reverend long term, don't get it. Also be sure to get a guitar of the colour that you like, or at least don't mind.

For Sound, do you want humbuckers or single coil? If you want humbuckers, you're left with the Pacifica with a bridge humbucker on these guitars, without modifications. Is the reverend as comfortable as a superstrat or strat shape?

Also bear in mind the neck finishes (gloss vs satin), and that the deluxe is a compound radius which is supposed to be more comfortable (subjective). Does the specific guitar you are looking at play great, or is it a dud/lemon?

Most ppl will advise you to try before you buy, which is great advice. Any of these three guitars should be great, and the important thing is no matter which you end up with, just play it and treat it well. Personally, I like the Yamaha Pacifica 611HFM and American Standard Stratocaster 2012. All the best!

Thanks Ice for your very detailed response.

I have tried out all three of them and I have to say that for myself, the Reverend Six Gun wins hands down. Seriously an amazing guitar! Very solid build and very very very nice tones compared to the Fender American Deluxe Strat. I was quite wary of the shape as well in terms of ergonomics and feel for the Reverend, but it seems very comfortable to play with it whether standing or sitting (I tested it for a good 30 mins and felt I could go on forever). They have this very interesting base contour knob which helps control the bass volume and really is something that helps bring in a whole new spectrum of tones. Price wise, the Six Gun is approx $1400 while the Fender goes for about $2300 and has essentially all the features of the Fender. Really very excited to get it and have ordered it in a rather sexy unique looking chronic blue!

Will post some pictures on the gear page in the future.

Back