Simple home recording setup

newbie2015

Hi, I recently tried using my Samsung Note 2 to record my guitar playing. The visual is good but the AUDIO sucks with the 'sound of air' floating around. I have read many articles about what are audio interfaces, different types of mics, etc. but the question is : How do you put them together ?

I have a basic electric guitar and a beginner guitar amp. So what is next ? Buy an audio interface ? Then ? Follow the instruction manual ? Before that, install a recording software into the PC ?

I just need a simple set up to record a video of me playing my guitar with decent audio quality that is all. Any kind souls who can assist to reply ? I have enough of reading ups and is making myself even more confused so would appreciate if you could guide me instead of sending links to another website to read up again.

Hi, I recently tried using my Samsung Note 2 to record my guitar playing. The visual is good but the AUDIO sucks with the 'sound of air' floating around. I have read many articles about what are audio interfaces, different types of mics, etc. but the question is : How do you put them together ?

I have a basic electric guitar and a beginner guitar amp. So what is next ? Buy an audio interface ? Then ? Follow the instruction manual ? Before that, install a recording software into the PC ?

I just need a simple set up to record a video of me playing my guitar with decent audio quality that is all. Any kind souls who can assist to reply ? I have enough of reading ups and is making myself even more confused so would appreciate if you could guide me instead of sending links to another website to read up again.

if you're just planning to do like guitar covers and not recording anything else (eg vocals), you can opt to get an inexpensive audio interface and just plug your guitar straight into the interface and run software amps.

Not sure what real amp are you using, but the above mentioned way allows you to try out many of the free guitar amp simulator plugins (software amps) which will definitely sound much better than your amp (if you're using just a normal practice amp).

You'll need:
1) audio interface that accepts instrument inputs (Hi-Z input) hopefully with a pad on the input in case your guitar pickups are too hot
2) a 1/4 inch TS, guitar cable
3) a headphone/speaker
4) a 1/4" male to 3.5mm female adapter (required if the audio interface headphone jack is 1/4")
5) a DAW (you can use some free ones like reaper)
6) a Software amp simulator plugin (use free ones like LePou and TSE stuff, just google 'amp sim vst')

Back