More platforms for buskers to perform

soft

Administrator
Staff member
ST_20151012_ALBUSK12_1752441.jpg

From pop songs to melodies played on traditional musical instruments like the Chinese guzheng, commuters can enjoy a tune or two while they wait for their train.

After a pilot project, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has extended an initiative allowing buskers to perform on train platforms to 15 stations, up from the initial five.

The new stations include those in the heartland, such as Ang Mo Kio, Boon Lay and Tampines, as well as those in the city, like Bugis and Orchard.

The initiative resumed last Thursday after the trial conducted from July last year to February yielded "positive commuter feedback", the LTA said.

The initial five stations were Bukit Batok, City Hall, Eunos, Jurong East and Raffles Place.

By allowing busking performances at more stations, LTA said it hopes to "create a more pleasant public transport experience", while providing a platform for local performers to showcase their talents.

Four performing acts endorsed under the National Arts Council's (NAC) busking scheme have already been invited to busk at the stations, and the NAC and LTA are working together to rope in more.

One of the acts is The Unemployed, which comprises university undergraduates Ang Cheng Wei and Er Young Yee, both 23. Mr Ang sings while Mr Er plays the guitar.

Mr Ang said: "It's an interesting initiative. In places like New York, we can see people busking in the subways. It's good to see that Singapore is slowly getting there."

Full article at
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/more-platforms-for-buskers-to-perform

I was in New York earlier this year and one of my fondest memories of the city was the incredibly talented musicians they have on the street. I love how the initiative works both way; performers get a platform & audience and commuters get a pleasant journey out/home!

It's great that NAC and LTA are working on this together to create a more vibrant arts scene in Singapore :)
Good for us buskers!

Back