DIY Recording FAQ

Newbie lost in recording...

Hey , I recently bought a CAD gxl2400 mic and rolls phantom power . However after I tried hooking everything up , and tried recording , i only managed to get soft vocals and a whole lot of distortion . I seriously need some help here on how to get the mic working properly and I wanna get a clear vocal recording . Can anybody help me ? (i'm hooking everything up through my computer and i'm using audacity)

If you hear the surround area very clear and get distortion when you speak to the mic( with pop filter). Reduced the mic level by half if at max, and try again. Probably you need to raise the volume up to hear your voice.

nazz94 : what's in the "hooking everything up" ?

CAD mic > Rolls Phantom Power > ?Preamp? (question here would be why did you buy the rolls phantompower) > ?Audio interface? (unless! you're using Line6 Toneport UX1 that doesn't have phantompower) > Audacity

Hi! Have got some input frmo blueprint and i must say it's good! Will be looking forward to cleaning up some recordings and posting them once i get everything up and going!

Hardware aside, how bout syncing da software to da hardware, I at times hv dat prob, I'm using line6 kb37 as my interface, wif cubase as my daw. I need step by step to link my interface to my daw.

1) Mic>XLR OR guitar > 1/4" cable > Line6 KB37 > USB > laptop/computer > Cubase (DAW).

2) install latest ASIO drivers of Line6 KB37.

3) run cubase. go to Setup choose Line6 KB37 as your ASIO soundcard.

4) Press F4. configure add your inputs and stereo outputs of your line6 kb37

5) add new audio track. arm it to record. arm it to Monitor (orange speaker icon beside rec button) to hear what you're recording

6) set preamp levels. so your heaviest/loudest part does not go past 0db. or to be safe. -3db / clip.

7) record.

Back