Personal Mixer for Worship Electric Guitarist --- HELP!

EADGBe

I'm a Worship electric guitarist. What I have now is this: Guitar to Pedalboard (Analog setup, ending with an AMT SS-11b / Behringer DI) to Church's mixing desk. For monitoring, the desk sends a Line out to the passive wedge (1/4inch from the wall point to 1/4inch on the passive wedge) I place in front of me.

First of all, I am totally clueless when it comes to sounds, signals and settings for audio. I read up on Balanced and Unbalance output, Line outs, Passive and Active, dBs and everything else in between. I can only get more confounded each time I read up on something new and related.

What I need to do is to replace the passive wedge with an in-ear system in order to avoid the too much electric guitar coming from my wedge that is undesired, although it has been like this for a long time.

I looked at the new Behringer Powerplay P1, which is not sufficient and also unavailable here. The Rolls PM351 appears to do all that I want - that is, to be able to hear the overall mix from the desk and control my guitar volume from my pedalboard (or "More of Me"). The shop where they sell the Rolls PM351 tells me that the "Line Input" at the rear of the Rolls PM351 is passive but I don't know what that means.

My sound man in the church says the soundboard and wiring setup will harm the Rolls PM351. Meaning, if I take a chance to use the Rolls PM351, I will end up with a burnt unit on the first day of use. It is $150.00 not including a in-ear set yet.

Now I am here to hear from SOFT Champions seeking advice. Thank you in advance.

Which mixer board are you using for FOH?

I believe it is a Allen & Heath unit. I am to understand that what I want to do is simple as in what the PM351 might serve and I would be the only one using this PM351, that is if it will work without being blown up.

I am only ready to spend $150 and add a little for more for a wired earphone only and I am just hoping the PM351 will do the work. I am not ready for what the two links are suggesting.

The Behringer MicroMON MA400 appears to be useful but again I am clueless as to how the MIC In will work with my pedalboard going in and there isn't any XLR through as I need to connect my pedalboard to the personal mixer and then pass through it to the FOH.

The Rolls PM55P seems like it another possible candidate but then again it is that "Monitor Input" that is bugging me - that is, will the Line out from the desk blow it up.

Last edited:
Rolls' reply to my question --- It would burn up the 351, yes. The unit can only take a line level signal.
We have the PM57 that you could plug your wedge into but it doesn't have the 2 pass thru's the 351 has just speaker like to headphone.

This is an unexpected answer. Since it can take a Line Level input, it should work with our desk's Line Level out or am I wrong again.

it will work with your desk's line level out, but i think in order to power the passive wedge your soundman is not simply sending a line level out.

Rolls' reply to my question --- It would burn up the 351, yes. The unit can only take a line level signal.
We have the PM57 that you could plug your wedge into but it doesn't have the 2 pass thru's the 351 has just speaker like to headphone.

This is an unexpected answer. Since it can take a Line Level input, it should work with our desk's Line Level out or am I wrong again.

The wedge at your church is running a signal through the amplifier before going to the wedge. If you want to run a signal, you'd have to get your audio guy to patch an aux from the board to the stage then into the headphone amp. I hope you've already had this issue rectified. :)

Back