about drum instructors/schools

viper

hi guys..if you've read one of my posts I've turned down yamaha's drum class cos of james. and I've looked around for some other classes , don't mind can give me some feedback or opinion about these classes?

1. tony zee at swee lee.
I heard he's not bad but his prices are a little steep.worth it or not?

2.music school @ bedok pizza hut block
$100 ++ per month. anyone took lessons there before? how was it?

3.Lila drums $100 per month / 30 mins per lesson.
the price is ok , looks attractive. any bad experiences with lila drums?

Anyone knows of any other good places that teaches drums?
thanks for your help . :D

Tony zee trains his students to the top few in singapore. People like jimmy lee treats tony with alot of respect because it is tony who Taught jimmy lee. I seriously believe that tony zee is a good teacher and you should go all the way for it.

As for the other 2 , im not sure about them

Hi Viper,
Mind telling me the details to Tony Zee? I heard quite a few raves abt him in this and another forum, thinking to check him out. Is he at Swee Lee in Bras Basah?

Coz i'm workin, i need to know his location and rates, so I can dash down for classes when work's done!

Thanks!!
(btw, i'm a beginner as well) :oops: would like to get off on a good start.

Oh really? I'm looking for someone in the Bugis area, which is really going to be convenient for me.

Who's your friend learning from? What's the rates like now?

hey people, I myself treat tony zee with great respect. I never seen him before but, I hear tons and tons of things about him, most believe he is one of the legends locally

hey

hi all, i take lessons from tony but stopped. he really brings ppl to a certain understanding for drumming, i stopped becos he gave me the disciplined to be on my own alreayd. really awesome guy. i always phrase him as THE old chap WITH chops. and his into badminton hahahah. performed for dont forget the lyrics and plays outside paragon all the time. although his abit laid back now cos of his age. but he still always improves. his speed is awesome to me. but i feel his coordinations are godly, and i really suggest those that are more keen to playing metal and things dont find him. his more of funk groove jazz. and he doesnt consider himself a double pedal player but he is the first one in singapore to play double bass, he can play doubles but his more on single bass cos his right leg is fast enough, he has a good friend called requilme or something. the only one in singapore if i din get my info wrong that is certified BY TAMA for tunning of drum sets. yay!

Oh really? I'm looking for someone in the Bugis area, which is really going to be convenient for me.

Who's your friend learning from? What's the rates like now?

The Music Lab at Middle Road (http://themusiclab.com.sg/) ? Alvin Tan, the principal, is probably lurking around here in SOFT somewhere. Personable and friendly guy, I like him. The best thing about him is that he is willing to give back to the community what he has already received. I know he is giving free lessons to the under-priviledged so everyone gets a chance...

You would be lucky if he teaches you :)

hi im filipino playing drums..but im not here to teach, i just want to promote my frend..he is gilbert nogales, he is 2007 singapore drumfest champion, currently he is teaching under Jimmy Lee school..Located at suntech tower2,School of Music Clef..so, if you really serios in playing drums..try to visit him..school fee im not sure..im only sure that he is good..cheers...

Jerry Tan, Alan Tan, Louis Tan all know that if you want to be the BEST?
one has to learn from the "BEST" and they all know who the BEST OF ASIA is:
none other than Don Ashley "Best Drummer of Asia " check out his web site:
www.donashley.com.hk I've heard that even the Best in Singapore Kenny Hogan wanted to invite Don to appear with him in Singapore however, Kenny
couldn't afford it. Don has a 100 students in Hong Kong and 500 in China:

Hey I would like to warn you guys about The Music Lab. In case anyone is still deciding whether or not to take lessons there, I took lessons for about a year last year but decided to leave after they repeatedly failed to inform me that my lesson had been cancelled. I would arrive punctually at the centre with my instrument ready for my lesson, only to be informed at the counter that my instructor would not be coming in - very obviously the centre's fault. This happened a total of 3 times. I finally left because they let it happen twice in a single week, and one of the front desk admins (they kept changing) was particularly insincere and offered no apology which just made things worse. I've been trying to claim back the fees for my last lesson which was not carried out by no fault of mine, but they (I think another front desk admin handling the email account who did not leave a name, very professional indeed) have been unhelpful so far - they provided an insincere and generic reply saying that no records have been kept.

If it is indeed true that no records have been kept of both my activities and the instructor's activities at the centre, this is a sign that the business is falling down from within. Such lax attitudes towards record-keeping can only mean trouble for the consumer. If, on the other hand, they have been keeping records but have lied to avoid providing a refund (and I have reason to suspect that this is true because I signed off after every lesson without fail), then this is plain dishonesty. The money itself is a small sum and I would have let it go if they had given a sincere and detailed explanation and apology. Unfortunately, they have been uncooperative and consistent in ignoring my requests. If and only if you are okay with issues like this, go ahead and sign up.

I had encounter some bad experience in other music school (not music lab), the main problem I found with music school is the teacher turn over. It is disruptive and the school keeps cancelling class (but however money wise no refund). So it is better to find direct tutor (that teach from home) because I can see there are more passion in teaching when it is personal (or because I lucky find good teacher). Also better still cheaper and no need to pay registration fees. Until now I still dont know what is the purpose of registration fees, when all it does it writing your name down. There are some softies that teach drum lesson you can hunt one-by-one, negotiate first few lesson pay per lesson?

Tony Zee used to play with Jive Talking in Hard Rock Cafe Orchard many years ago.

the last time I saw him play at Marina Square open space with Indra Ismail.

Last edited:
the BEST OF ASIA is:
none other than Don Ashley "Best Drummer of Asia " check out his web site:
www.donashley.com.hk
Don Ashley is from the band Chyna who is the original
singer/writer to "Within you'll remain" (Tokyo Square class acts song)
Don has a 100 students in Hong Kong and
500 in China:
600 total ? 600/30 == 20 ?
one day he teaches 20 students ?
one student 1/2 hour or 1 hour ?
he no need sleep ah ?
unless he teaches 20 students per class

my teacher has 5000 students, and he employs
12 teachers to teach. one student charged
$80 per year.

one year, he makes $400,000.
minus teachers' fee, at $30-40 per hour,
he earns $300,000

He operated for 10 years, now he is millionaire

- - - Updated - - -

you are a great drummer !

Last edited:
Don Ashley is from the band Chyna who is the original
singer/writer to "Within you'll remain" (Tokyo Square class acts song)
600 total ? 600/30 == 20 ?
one day he teaches 20 students ?
one student 1/2 hour or 1 hour ?
he no need sleep ah ?
unless he teaches 20 students per class

my teacher has 5000 students, and he employs
12 teachers to teach. one student charged
$80 per year.

one year, he makes $400,000.
minus teachers' fee, at $30-40 per hour,
he earns $300,000

He operated for 10 years, now he is millionaire