Home Recording Help ( humming plus shimming )s

https://soundcloud.com/akmal-lespaul/akmallespaul-ft-nazzy-akhir-penantianku-aliff-satar

im trying to get rid of background noise but with no avail. as you can hear theres slight humming and also this very distinct annoying shimming sound. (could the reverb caused this caused i maxed it out for the keys)

current gear :

adobe audition cs6
alesis multimix 6usbfx
mxl 990
casio ctk 2300
shitty acer laptop

the current recording is after i put in some efxs. if not it will sound very dry. am i doing smthn wrong cause what i hear from my headphones is not what i hear once i recorded it. any help would be great. thank you so much

Is the noise from the keyboard track? Could be that the output from your Casio is noisy.

Don't really know what is the 'shimming' sound you are referring to. If you think that it is caused by the reverb, did you try to turn it down to see if it is still there?

The preamps in the multimix tend to hum when pushed. Did you have the gain on the multimix pretty much on full?

If this is the problem, you'll need to boost the keyboard signal before the multimix. I recommend this little chap:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ject-series-tube-microphone-instrument-preamp

Don't think you'll do much better for the price, it gives a strong output with a little added warmth. It can also be used with a vocal mic.

The signal chain goes casio > Tube MP > multimix > acer.

1) the noise that you're hearing most probably came from your casio or the alesis audio interface or both.

try balance the gain like 5/10 volume from your casio ,then add more from your alesis preamp.
then compare it with another recording of maxed casio volume level ,and add lesser from your alesis.
tweak balance both of them to taste. you might be able to get better signal with lesser noise.

make sure your audio cable between your casio keys and audio interface is not parallel to an electric power cable (ac adapters etc) . and also check to be sure any fluorescent table lamps are not being used. sometimes even usb charging your smartphone together with your usb audio interface can interfere. unplug all unnecessaries.

2) i heard the track , firstly you'll need to work on your punch-in recordings.. the vocals seems to have some kinda glitches in between.. then comes your mixing process, enhances a lot of "Presence" , a lot of highs and "air" if i make any sense.. which I believe it's what you're referring to the "shimmer" .. like staring into a bright light but for the ears. the reverb makes the shimmer worse.

so overall, either you need to work on your mixing , figure a way of software post production noise reduction for your recording, or just invest in cleaner sounding hardware options.
what I would recommend -

your casio has usb/midi i believe, change to another DAW or i'm not sure if adobe audition has midi support. then go look for some freeware piano vsti which should trigger more cleaner sounds.

then your mic recording make sure aircon is not blowing at it , anything noisy just temporarily turn it off or try muffle it or stay away from it. you can also use a closet/clothes as a half-vocal booth.

mixing.. relax on the highs hehe.

Back