Drop Tuning: Thicker strings, 7-strings, or baritone?

GoliathZero

Hi everyone! Would like a bit of advice on the matter of maintaining string tension while drop tuning.

Of late, I've been dabbling in the D-standard/Drop C range on my Ibanez Gio (because it's not a floating bridge so I can retune it easily). The thing is that I'm using 009s on my guitars, so the strings are quite loose - and it impedes my playing.

As I understand it:

Thicker strings:
Pro: Chunkier tone, more tension.
Cons: Might not fit on Gio nut, costs a lot more in long term (especially since I need coated)

7-String
Pro: No need to drop tune, just use the low B.
Con: Different string pack, have to buy new guitar

Baritone
Pro: More tension, same strings can be used
Con: Have to buy new guitar, usually not cheap.

Any suggestions on what to do? And also, what guitars should I consider (if 7-string/baritone is the way to go)?

Many thanks :D

I would go for the cheapest option first, which is to try out thicker guages. I believe you should not have any problems getting the string guages 011 in the nut.

You'll need to make adjustments to the truss rod to compensate for the increased tension on the neck. Greater tension from thicker guages will cause the neck to bow forward. Would be very helpful if you know how to adjust it yourself, but it's a delicate task (or get it set up by a professional).

7 string: the standard tuning of a 7 string is essentially in E so if you are talking about D standard tunings or Drop C, Im not so sure how a 7 string will solve your problem (I assume you wanna riff in D standard or do power chords in Drop C). I personally have a 7 string Musicman JP11 and I got it because i wanted more notes on my guitar and to riff on the low B.

I'm not sure if manufacturers actually charge more for thicker guages, but a pack of 7 string costs significantly more than a pack of 6. eg, Ernie Ball regular slinkies 6 string costs $6.5, while a pack of 7 strings costs approx double.

Last edited:
I think thicker strings is the best way to go, rather than spending on another guitar

as for fitting a thicker string in the nut, if the nut slot is too narrow you can get a set of tiny craft files for $2 from daiso and file the slot a little wider

Your Ibanez GIO's nut shouldn't have a problem with 10s. I've had an Ibanez GIO before, and had it tuned to D standard with 10s. No issues at all, provided you get the guitar properly set-up for that string gauge and that tuning.

I currently own a 7-string. I do play with D tuning but I have to place a capo at the 3rd fret. So you can use a 7-string for quite a variety of tunings in my opinion. Frankly speaking, I don't think I'll ever want to go back to 6-string.

But unless you intend to go lower than D or drop C, there's no reason for you to go for 7-string. It's more expensive to buy, you've got a much more limited variety to choose from, and it takes some getting used to. Same goes for baritones though a baritone with a capo at the 3rd fret is much more like a standard guitar than a 7-string with a capo on the 3rd fret.

Go for thicker strings first, and make sure you get your guitar properly set-up for the strings & tuning.

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem for your current guitar. Just use thicker strings, they'll fit! Drop D or C isn't too low and it should be fine. Just requires a good set-up.

You won't need baritone strings unless you wanna go lower. Like standard B or A#. I wanted to get that ultra-low thrum for death metal stuff, so was looking for .13/.62 strings. Couldn't find a pack with the right gauges though, so had to buy individual strings... An expensive and troublesome affair! Should you wanna go down this route, a guitar that excels at these low tunings is the Gibson Explorer. Got one just for this purpose!

After trying all your options before, imo get baritone best if you planning to dig real heavy tuning like c or b. Else the cheaper alternative is use thicker strings.

If you doing D tuning, your min should be 10-46. Any lower will be quite thick strings imo and quite hard to play.

Just my thoughts.

Back