Does anybody here still drop by the Yamaha shop in Plaza Sing? (and a PSA)

jony

I'm sure we're all abit like this.

Last time we'd walk by the Yamaha shop in Plaza Sing because they did carry some interesting gear. But then pretty much as the shops at Penin grew and began to stock some nice items, there was basically no need to go to Yamaha anymore unless you want an Orange or a Laney amp.

Its amazing how they stay afloat.

PSA: I dropped by last Saturday - they're having a mid-year sale. Everything guitar/bass/drum related is 15% off. There might be a good deal in there somewhere.

Mostly people dont really go there because the stuff there is really expensive. Some other shops that carry yamaha products may even sell it cheaper than yamaha@ps.

Probably the people that patronize there are families buying gear for the child, and also its the only place to get zildjian cymbals firsthand if im not wrong.

Actually, I think prices aren't too bad if you buy display pieces during sales. I got my Pacifica 112VCX at quite a big discount, and after doing the currency conversion, it was about the same or slightly less than most of the prices quoted online from what I remember. But no, I don't intend to buy anything from there if it's not during a sale period. And if the display piece rocks my boat, that's the one I'm getting. :)

Hi guys! Interesting question.

I work in Yamaha and I'm responsible for the product management and marketing of what is internally known here as "combo" products. It encompasses Electric Guitars, Basses, Acoustic Guitars, Synthesizers, Electronic Drums, Acoustic Drums and cymbals. It's a lot of things.

I've been here for 3 months and my boss has been around for a year. I speak in my own capacity here as a gear loving business student who somehow ended up working in the musical instrument industry.

I suppose it's no secret that prices here are on the high side, and selections for the brands we carry are terrible. We still don't have the EHX soul food and it pisses me off because I want one and simply haven't had the time to open up the order list and begin ordering. (It's a complex process)

It's something we're definitely working to change though. Since the end of 2013, products we've brought in are priced competitively in the market. I'm sure you guys will be able to suss out the good deals ;) I'll let you into the fact that my next project at work is to work re-pricing existing items and to order in some gear that people actually want.

Okay. Back to work. And yes, 15% sale on everything "combo" till 15th July.

Til next time!

- - - Updated - - -

Strange.. My post count is 1.

Pretty sure I've bought and sold stuff here before :/

So far so good as you claimed.
:)
The fender squiers that you guys brought in aren't marked up.
And it's before discount even.

Thumbs up for that.

dyestortion, thanks for the insider information!

* buy/sell posts are not counted in your post count

Thank you TravisK!

I'd like to just clarify though - the discounts don't apply on those Squiers. The margins are simply not there because we had to buy them at wholesale prices from another large musical instrument dealer locally.

But for everything else you can. I think there is a 10% discount membership card scheme available. (note to self: find out what its actually called)

They are factory fresh though and I think we are the only ones who have a Bigsby Cabronita Tele right now.

Last edited:
i will make it a point to drop by Beat Spot to check out Yamaha stuff (more drawn to the basses there). used to frequent the store when Beez was still around.

Hi Guys!

(Wow, had to go to the 3rd page to find this thread)

If you go into any of our Yamaha retail outlets today, you would have seen a reduction in prices on all our Yamaha instruments.

We've done this to better match the market conditions and expectations of musicians - NOT because our production cost has come down!

You'll still get the same reliable and consistent quality in our materials and construction that we feel is valued by our customers, especially in the humidity that exists in Singapore.

I think the plan is to continue to extend this to other brands that we carry.

Good news for everyone I hope!

Hi Guys!

(Wow, had to go to the 3rd page to find this thread)

If you go into any of our Yamaha retail outlets today, you would have seen a reduction in prices on all our Yamaha instruments.

We've done this to better match the market conditions and expectations of musicians - NOT because our production cost has come down!

You'll still get the same reliable and consistent quality in our materials and construction that we feel is valued by our customers, especially in the humidity that exists in Singapore.

I think the plan is to continue to extend this to other brands that we carry.

Good news for everyone I hope!
Since I live in the area I pop by the Thomson branch pretty often and did so just yesterday, I'm quite aware it's still a school forthmost since the inventory hardly or rather almost never changes, the only introduction I've noticed in the past few months having been a BB bass, but the prices don't appear to have changed. They're still as expensive as I remember >_>

I'm not trying to nitpick because once again it isn't exactly meant to be a guitar shop, but the guitars in store are generally poorly set up and maybe 9 times out of 10 whatever I pick up is vastly out of tune, on the electrics you'll find strings rusted or missing missing, terrible buzzing or the reverse since I know there's of one of the RGX locking shreddery types that's been around forever hanging in the bottom corner of the rack with strings a mile off the fretboard. I apologize if it comes across a bit harsh but I've thought to myself more than once that these guitars would probably have moved off a long time ago if they were actually playable, perhaps hiring a sales assistant who is capable of simple maintenance would be a possible suggestion?

Since I live in the area I pop by the Thomson branch pretty often and did so just yesterday, I'm quite aware it's still a school forthmost since the inventory hardly or rather almost never changes, the only introduction I've noticed in the past few months having been a BB bass, but the prices don't appear to have changed. They're still as expensive as I remember >_>

As you have rightly pointed out, the Thomson branch is a school. We've stocked the shop with some accessories for players in the area who need to grab some spares without needing to make the trip to City Hall.

Some BB models are already at "market price" so we did not adjust them.

I'm not trying to nitpick because once again it isn't exactly meant to be a guitar shop, but the guitars in store are generally poorly set up and maybe 9 times out of 10 whatever I pick up is vastly out of tune, on the electrics you'll find strings rusted or missing missing, terrible buzzing or the reverse since I know there's of one of the RGX locking shreddery types that's been around forever hanging in the bottom corner of the rack with strings a mile off the fretboard. I apologize if it comes across a bit harsh but I've thought to myself more than once that these guitars would probably have moved off a long time ago if they were actually playable, perhaps hiring a sales assistant who is capable of simple maintenance would be a possible suggestion?

That's been my observation too... Sadly. I understand its abit "meh".

But it's being worked on.

However, I know that the staff on the ground will do as much as they can to ensure that instruments sold to our customers are in good condition. Most of the instruments we sell come out of the boxes that have never been opened. We don't move the display ones first and then replace them with a piece from the box.

Btw, and this is true for almost all the instruments we sell; customers are often the first and only ones to break open the boxes to their instruments.

perhaps hiring a sales assistant who is capable of simple maintenance would be a possible suggestion?

As I gather, we are always hiring. ;)

Last edited:
Back