From 4 String - 5 String? & Bass Preamp?

Jayden

Hi All Seniors!

I've been thinking, if i have 1k, and i wanna upgrade to a 5 string, is there any advice?

whether to buy very ex bass or can get a good bass preamp and a ok 5 string bass??

possible to work out in a budget of 1000?

Hi All Seniors!

I've been thinking, if i have 1k, and i wanna upgrade to a 5 string, is there any advice?

whether to buy very ex bass or can get a good bass preamp and a ok 5 string bass??

possible to work out in a budget of 1000?

not a bass player myself but my husband does play the bass!
pricing doesnt usually determine how good a bass is although it does play a part

my husband got his roland cube amp and a squire for around $700 max together..
not sure whether it was on sale but he was really happy with his purchases :)
he tried a few others which were much more expensive but just didnt 'connect' with it

it all depends and you should go bass hunting, try those out for yourself then decide.
with your price range you should have no problem finding one that you love!:eek:

Oh! Ok! Thanks Pinkiepie..

not a bass player myself but my husband does play the bass!
pricing doesnt usually determine how good a bass is although it does play a part

my husband got his roland cube amp and a squire for around $700 max together..
not sure whether it was on sale but he was really happy with his purchases :)
he tried a few others which were much more expensive but just didnt 'connect' with it

it all depends and you should go bass hunting, try those out for yourself then decide.
with your price range you should have no problem finding one that you love!:eek:

Hi,

Firstly, you need to be sure that you really need a 5 string for your musical purposes.

Secondly, go to the shops and try out as many 5 string basses as you possibly can to see if that is really your thing. It can be a beast to play if you don't get the right bass (think scale length, string spacing and weight) for your physique.

If you really need a 5er, pick the one that sounds best to your ears and is comfortable to play (sitting and standing). Should you feel the need of a preamp upgrade, you can do that later. A skilled bass player can create a variety of nice tones from his fingers, hand placement and amp eq-ing alone.

Cheers

Chin Yuen

Just like Chin Yuen mentioned earlier, don't rush in getting a 5-Strings. Test all you can with the bass available.

From four to five strings, adjustments such as, if u finger pick ur Bottom E strings, there will be the B strings there whereas for the four strings there is no other strings on top of it.

Also, pay attention to the neck placement, some models are narrower and some are broader. So get one that you are comfy. Take note, humans are adaptable creatures. We learnt fast to overcome difficulties for instead playing the G octave is wider for 4 Strings but for 5 strings it is more closer to each other. Initially, you will miss the strings. It took me about 3 months to get used to 5 strings and when I play some notes, I might miss it. It's ok. Just see what create this problem and try to overcome it. For bass pick, it is also different. As we used to the low E. And pick it hard. However we might hit the B. This u need to train yourself.

The joy of 5 strings to me is you can play more notes. And if u play low E, u can also play the lower G on the B string for some bass work which with 4 strings, u can play the high G, which tone wise sound different.

Also, I love to hit the E on the B strings (the 5th fret), sound so wicked there. Well for each his own pal.

Cheers

Back