Purchasing first monitor speakers: KRK Rokit 5 or Tannoy Reveal 501A?

euphorica

Hey guys.

Im a newbie producer. I wish to produce mainly electronic dance music. And perhaps a little tracking for metal too.
I have no formal training, just youtube videos, magazines and forums.
Im still schooling thus budget is a concern. For now im gonna put it at S$500 and below..

Im getting my first pair of monitor speakers and need recommendation from the pros here.

Im eyeing the krk rokit 5s but i've read they're not suitable for mixing as they tend to boost alot more on their low end. I've had personal experience that the songs get pretty muddy if played on other stereo systems. Im also the kind who hates going with whats "popular". Hehe. But no doubt, they sound good.

Im thinking of the Tannoys too cause they meet my budget and that i've read that they sound pretty accurate for the price range. However im not all too sure cause i find very few reviews on the net to influence my decision to purchase them.

Any thoughts abt this guys?
You may recommend me other options if any..

Thanks in advance!

I am no expert on this subject. How about a more budget type - Alesis M1 Active 520? (if you can accept its harsh highs). Sonic preferences are to the individual. Please take effort to "audit" your targeted speaker models to compare before purchase. Showroom and home studio environments can affect the output.

From my understanding, mixing and listening needs are different, e.g. using flat, neutral sounding speakers would be good for mixing and bad for listening and vice-versa. To overcome this dilemma, you can consider using EQ at the right juncture, two sets of studio monitors or a subwoofer that can be "defeated" when required, etc.

Good hunting!

Last edited:
Thanks for that! Really appreciate it! Shall take those pointers into account!

Hmm.. The forum is rather shy here eh. I need more feedbacks..!

Hi euphorica,

My recommended choice for you is definitely the KRK Rokit 5. Since you mentioned that you were interested in making EDM, the low extension of the RP5 (52Hz) is definitely a serious advantage.

Im eyeing the krk rokit 5s but i've read they're not suitable for mixing as they tend to boost alot more on their low end. I've had personal experience that the songs get pretty muddy if played on other stereo systems.

It is a common misconception that when a speaker has better bass extension, it is interpreted as being boosted. Most speakers are accurate enough to mix on, and the differences in sound are not so important for someone who is new into engineering. As you get more and more experienced on hearing how your music sounds on a wide variety of systems then you would be more equipped to make your next upgrade decision based on your own improved hearing ability.

Don't make the same mistake many do, by spending so much time worrying about which is the "Best" piece of equipment to buy. The person behind the work is more important than that, and it would be better to get your basic set of equipment as soon as possible and start making as much music as you can :)

Hi there, my simple advice would be:

You will need acoustic treatment of your room first. If not, even the most expensive pair of speakers won't help.

Thank you! Useful advices! They're not really the kind of answer i was hoping for but i know those advices are a good thing! So thanks! Ordering some absorbers!

My pleasure. I'm not an expert too but am currently in the field of studies in school. In summary:

Well every room has the modal resonances and for smaller rooms in general (bedrooms), the bass is even more pronounced. This may include putting bass traps in your corners of the room.

Also, your mixing position may also entail a different acoustic setup. You might wanna deaden using absorbers the end where the speakers are, and diffuse the back plate of wall of the mixing engineer. Of course, this is too elaborate for an amateur. Thus, getting some absorbers and bass traps should be enough.

p.s. my school has a tiny makeshift room for mixing with KRKs too. It's barely treated and every mix you put in just sound bassy, muddy bass that is.

The main point is, a person starting out only has a certain amount to spend. Thus, if he spends the $500 on monitors, he's gonna be out of cash of acoustic treatments. I've made that same mistake too. I mean, buying monitors surely sounds cooler than buying pieces of foam. I would recommend, to make do with a pair of decent headphones first, and save up for acoustic treatments and monitors later. And yes, I know the problem with mixing on headphones as opposed to monitors, but the difference should be minute for this period you're starting out.

Just offering my 2 cents. Pardon me if it's erroneous cos I'm a student too. =)

Thanks for sharing. For the bedroom "studio" environment, I was thinking we should sound treat after getting the equipment unless we are doing sound-proof works. Do tell more, I would be happy to learn more about acoustics from you. TGIF!

Given that the TS is a newbie producer with a budget of $500, he would be best benefited by buying the basic set of audio equipment and exploring the art before worrying about proper implementation or room treatment.

Doing your room acoustics properly is not just a matter of buying some panels. Certainly, doing it wrongly is just as bad as not having any in the first place, unless your room is incredibly empty to start with and that is unlikely in most bedroom studios.

A complete solution for proper studio implementation and acoustics costs at least a few thousand dollars, and although it is important for a professional engineer, it is not going to be a sensible step for a beginner.

Buying a few panels to start with without a complete plan is probably a step in vain, I have had clients who had to throw away their prior purchases because they were not suitable in the end.

Would anybody be interested in visiting some of our bedroom / small studio setups to experience a professional studio design? If there is enough interest, it can be arranged with some of our clients.

I have been doing without acoustic treatment. The most important is how to place your monitor correctly. Since you are using small monitor, it is ok to put it close to your hears. Nearfield! But you must maintain go equilateral between you and you speaker. Tweeter at ear level! If possible, leave a least two feet of space behind the wall. Of cos, the monitors should not be too close to side walls. If you follow this closely, you get solid center and out of the box stereo image. Your frequency respond to the room, will have much lesser "smiley" face.

Would anybody be interested in visiting some of our bedroom / small studio setups to experience a professional studio design? If there is enough interest, it can be arranged with some of our clients.

Whoah! Interesting! Would love to but too paiseh to go alone. Hehe.. Maybe pictures would do just fine?

Anyway, thank you all for the tip! Really appreciate it. I've been too engrossed with gears and setups lately so much so that i've been reading far too much reviews on gadgets rather than practicing on music production! Sigh, this is bad..

Should start a thread on posting pictures of both pro and aspiring local engineer's setups! Big or small, i'll drool over them all. Okay, shall not digress.

Thanks again everybody!

Have you bought your monitor speakers? Did you buy KRK or Tannoy in the end? I heard about Tannoy Reveal 502 and am planning to get a pair. Btw, any idea who distributes or sells Tannoy Monitor Speakers? I know Tannoy 'home' speaker distributor doesnt carry Reveal. Any idea?

Back