Set-up for keyboard?

cosmicity

Hi all,

I'm a keyboardist and am looking to create a set-up which is convenient for portability. In general, my band requires a generous layer of synth, ambient noises and samples.

Is there a good set-up for which anyone could recommend? I'm looking to incorporate my mac, but am unsure as to how I can go about doing this. I'm also thinking of using a portable keyboard, should there be one which delivers on sound. Or would a cheap midi keyboard do? Essentially, I am looking for a set-up which is bare-bones - a set of gears which I can carry around on my back for performances - but versatile.

Appreciate the help!

Depending on your genre, you may be able to get some really light and small (e.g. 49 keys) keyboard with the sounds you need. This will probably be the most portable solution.

With a notebook, you get more sounds. But it's not as portable as you think. I've been trying all sorts of setups (same reason as you - to achieve the most portable solution with the most sounds). Add in an audio interface, power adaptors (don't forget the adaptor for the audio interface) and additional wires, you'll find you need to bring along a big bag full of additional stuff. Also, setup requires more time.

The key to a software solution is to be able to assess your arsenal of sounds (which is usually from different VSTis and sample libraries) quickly and easily. Hence, the host software is key. Most DAWs are ok, but not designed for this kind of quick assess + flexibility in programming. I've tried many different ways, including using Plogue Bidule as a host. There are some pretty good ways, but no best way.

Laptop isn't the most portable solution - certainly also the least dynamic in terms of spontaneity. if u're a keyboardist who is accustomed to the convenience of pressing buttons on synths to change patches, the user interface and structure of a laptop might be too cumbersome by comparison.

Also, are your samples actually short loop sequences? if so, there is the option of triggering them from an external source such as a iPad, iPod, or similar portable device.

I can think of two portable solutions for u:

1) Nord Wave - powerful all-in-one synth with high customisation capability, which also allows u to load your own samples. there isn't a smaller or more lightweight synth with sampling capability out there. very expensive synth- but to me, hassle-free portability is always worth the money.

2) Yamaha CS2x or CS1x + iPad or iPhone -
A lightweight 5kg keyboard that has a 3.5mm stereo input. Connect the Apple device by 3.5mm stereo cable to the keyboard line input. Your band's samples can be loaded into a sample-triggering app and triggered by touch screen. if im not mistaken, u can even use the onboard filters on the CS2x to tweak the sample sound too. The output jack on the synth will carry both the synth and the external source signals.

I suggest that you get a MIDI Controller.

49 or 61 keys should be enough for you.

You can consider brands like M Audio and Novation.

They work pretty well :)

Back