DO You Sing Incorrectly frm yo Nose or your Throat, or correctly from your Diaphragm?

misstisa

DO YOU STRUGGLE TO SING WITH THE FOLLOWING ISSUES?

When you sing, and you go to high notes, do you push your sound out through your nose, resulting in a pinched smaller sound, or do you start screaming or shrieking from your throat - giving your poor little throat a thrashing and getting a sore throat in the process?

Or if the notes were really low, you find that cannot reach them, whatever bending of your neck or stretching your jaw you do?

Well, you can't reach high or really low notes, because of course, these are the hardest to do (the middle is always easy for everybody), but if you dont' have the proper technique of singing and breathing, you will find that you can sing only the middle notes, but have difficulty singing high notes or low notes, resulting in a very small range.

Are you always running out of breathe, and you cannot project your voice, or your voice can barely be heard? When you go for the high notes, your throat closes up and you crack or croak?

If you were singing properly, A REAL PROPER Singing Teacher should first teach you the proper way/technique to breathe to deliver the correct sound production and notes -not from the nose or throat - BUT from the diaphragm!

Your teacher cannot just let you start singing without checking if your voice is in the proper placement - whether you are too throaty or nasal - or you might even be already singing/breathing from the diaphragm, but just not deep enough!

Even if you have the desire and passion to sing, if your sound is coming from strange wrong places in your body, then you are singing incorrectly, and probably even in a way that's harmful to your throat and health!

AURAL TRAINING & RUDIMENTS OF MUSIC

A proper singing teacher should also teach you the rudiments of music –the human voice is an instrument, and whatever you are singing, there are the corresponding notes to it. You should learn the corresponding notes to what you are singing!! DO NOT SING LIKE A PARROT, JUST MIMICKING SOUNDS, and NOT EVEN KNOWING WHAT YOUR KEY IS OR WHAT NOTES YOU ARE SINGING!

If you have aural problems, e.g, your pitch is always off, flat, sharp, aside from the correct breathing techniques, this is usually corrected by the correct mouth shapes to enunciate vowels properly and by learning to play an instrument. In my course, You will have to learn basic keyboard skills to develop and enhance your hearing and therefore make you sing in perfect pitch!

So, in addition to proper breathing and pitching techniques, you will be taught how to know the keys to your songs, to sightsing, to count in the different time signatures, the different genres of music, etc. You can choose whatever song genre you want to sing in – be it pop, jazz, blues, theatre and classical.

A TEACHER WHO CAN ACCOMPANY YOU, A TEACHER WHO CAN SING AND PLAY

All of the above should be taught by a teacher who can accompany you on the piano or guitar, NOT using instrumental tracks/karaoke. Teachers who teach singing using instrumental tracks because they are not able read and play music themselves are not properly trained music professionals. They are inadequate and untrained music teachers! Your teacher must be able to read and write music herself! These untrained music teachers are just teaching you TO MIMIC and COPY SOUNDS LIKE A PARROT! If your teacher has no knowledge of reading music, and cannot accompany you, and is grabbing sounds from the air to teach you, this is a very inadequate and untrained person pretending to be a music teacher.

A TEACHER WHO CAN TEACH BOTH POP AND CLASSICAL CORRECTLY!

ALSO, beware of singing teachers who can only teach you how to sing in a classical style! They might be able to play piano and accompany you, but they might not be able to teach you to sing popular songs or jazz and R&B in the proper way! The way pop songs are sang are so different from the classical songs! Pop songs tend to be more conversational/speech level whereas Classical singing uses the head voice a lot. A teacher who is using the head voice to teach you to sing a U2 or Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga or Beyonce song does not know how to teach pop singing properly! She will only be good for classical singing! The placement and approach to singing pop and classical is very different - BUT both come for the diaphragm! A really good singing teacher will teach you that pop and classical singing are the same - the sound produced both come from the diaphragm -it's just that classical songs are traditionally sang in head voice and popular/mainstream music uses a more conversational/speech level type of singing. Moreover, classical and pop singing differ in their repertoire. Classical singing involves singing opera, hymns, art songs and some musical theatre, while popular music consists of Top 40s, rock, jazz, R&B, soul, etc.

SINGING EXAMS & PERFORMANCE

If you also want your singing lessons to be accredited in case you want to go for Higher Music or go to a music college, your teacher should be able to prepare you for the Trinity or ABRSM Singing Exams.

Last but not least, teaching you to project, to emote, to express and to learn the different approaches to the different styles of music, should also be taught!

Lessons at $60 per session. Performance/Vocal coaching is also available for semi- professionals and professional singers, or those going for a singing audition. Beginner piano/Pop Piano lessons also available. Email me at ladybirdworks@gmail.com for any more enquiries, or call 96512921.

i do agree with some of your pointers. i know some famous teachers, ex-singers and now judging here and there, who cannot accompany the students on keyboard, piano or guitar.

i am curious how do you teach your student to emote in his singing? do you put him through acting lessons? i ask this because i came across one famous singing school that arrange acting teacher to help their singing students improve. one of their students was my ex-classmate, really make a difference.

care to share what are your qualifications and singing teaching experiences.

Back